Finger Mullet & Flounder - Proper way? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 11-10-2006, 06:45 AM
Registered Users-pm+

HSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to Pirate
Finger Mullet & Flounder - Proper way?

I'm new to flounder fishing so I was wondering what is the proper way to place the hook in the finger mullet when fishing for Flounder?

1) Hook through the tail?
2) Hook through the top of the mouth?
3) Hook throuh the bottom of the mouth?
4) Hook through both top and bottom of the mouth?

Thanks for you help!

JR
Old 11-10-2006, 08:20 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Big Eddie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Big Eddie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Big Eddie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Big Eddie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Big Eddie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Big Eddie is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
I hook them through both eye sockets. Seem to live a little longer than through the mouth for some reason.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:37 AM
Registered Users-pm+

HSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to PirateHSP506 has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks I'll try that. Last weekend I tried the tail and upper mouth but they didn't last too long.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Just another TEXAS newbie

AimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieAimlessRolling has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Bluefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Eddie
I hook them through both eye sockets. Seem to live a little longer than through the mouth for some reason.
Through the eyes works great for me until as long as they are still alive. Once they are dead (or die on the hook) I hook through one eye out the top of the head. Keeps them on the hook mo' betta.

Aimless
Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 AM
Registered Users-pm+

yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
flounder mullet

It really depends on how you are fishing them. If I am just using a 1/4 oz splitshot or free-lining I hook them thru the eye sockets. They tend to stay at the propper depth that way. If I am using a 3/4 to 1 oz. weight I will hook them thru the tail area just above center to avoid the back bone. This tends to give them more of a disdressed look and action and creat more strikes. I also hook them thru the back on my greg rigs (jig head, kahle hook set up). Mullet would be on red jig head and shrimp on kahle hook. Great Flounder rig. Just drag slowly on the bottom. Good luck, hope this helps.
Yakfishin

P.S. If the mullet is dead, I thread them on a jig-head like a soft plastic and work them slow. actually this time of year I will buy dead ones and just fish them that way. Use large mullet 5" or so for LARGE FLOUNDER.

Last edited by yakfishin; 11-10-2006 at 09:55 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks Yakfishin, now I have a few more options I didn't think of before.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
Registered Users-pm+

stros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerstros00 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
when you hook them thru the eyes..wont they die faster?
Old 11-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Registered Users-pm+

yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)yakfishin has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
stros00,
What big eddie said. The reason they live longer than thru the mouth is they can still have water running over their gills.