Serious Outboard Motor Title Question - Facts needed - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 AM   #1
coachlaw
WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!

coachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Pirate
Serious Outboard Motor Title Question - Facts needed

Ok folks, I'm in the middle of a legal conundrum regarding what to do with a couple of outboard motors I own. If you read the TPWD regulations, it SEEMS that any outboard used in TX waters, on a TX registered boat, must be titled in Texas.

I have heard many thoughts on this. Often it is conflicting information, but I cannot find any concrete legal answers on it.

I have a '91 Nissan 8 horse I use as a kicker on my boat and I have a little air cooled '86 1.5 horse Cruise 'N Carry I may use again one day. Both of these were purchased when I lived in La., which like most states, does not title outboard motors.

Some have told me that under a certain horsepower, you do not have to have them titled, but I can't find any info on this.

On my boat registration card I carry with me when I'm on the water, it does not list the outboard title info, and therefore, how could I get in trouble having an untitled kicker if stopped by the warden?

So, do I have to go through the mess of trying to get them titled, or is it a non-issue, like I have heard from others. I'm looking for the collective wisdom of the 2cool universe to solve this dilemma. I want to be legal, but at the same time, I don't want to have to jump through unnecessary hoops.

If there are any Gamewardens or other people in the know on the board, please post up and educate us. From the conversations I've had, there is a LOT of confusion over this issue.

I recently thought of buying another little outboard that was a good deal, but it was not titled, so I passed. Did I miss out?

On the flip side, last year I sold a couple that I had from when I lived in La. (My dad and I love little outboards. It is a sickness.) and they did not have titles, so I'm wondering if the buyers might have trouble in the future or is the Bill of Sale enough for them to get titled? (if necessary).

Many thanks, Coach
coachlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2006, 11:22 PM   #2
coachlaw
WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!

coachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Pirate
Dang, not a single answer so far. I must assume that others are just as confused as I am. - Coach
Old 10-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #3
Haute Pursuit
Jerry Jones rocks!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
You can get paperwork for a certificate of lost tile from the TPWD. The only kicker is they have to be clean... not reported as stolen and have no liens against them.
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 01:00 AM   #4
speckle-catcher
Registered Users-pm+

speckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Pirate
after 1994, all outboard motors are required to be titled

for each motor you need:
a PWD 143 form (application for motor title) http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...pplication.pdf
a PWD 504 (pencil tracing of serial number) http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...tification.pdf
a PWD 314 (affidavit of fact) http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/publicat...it_of_fact.pdf
verification of no record from governmental agency

I don't know where to get the gov't record
speckle-catcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 AM   #5
Texxan1

Texxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to PirateTexxan1 has been promoted to Pirate
As per TPWD.... To file for a lost title.. The previous owner must sign for it....

Now, if they were never titled there is another form you must submit... If you have a bill of sale your good, if you dont they will hassle you about it..

Most people do not title smaller motors. Its just not worth the hassle..

I have sold a few motors under 35hp and none have ever had titles.

I sold one to a 2cooler this year, a motor i got brand new that didnt come with a title etc.

It just depends on who is going to be buying it...

My 2 cents

Thomas
Texxan1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 01:12 AM   #6
speckle-catcher
Registered Users-pm+

speckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Piratespeckle-catcher has been promoted to Pirate
you can't file for a lost title if the motor is not titled. A bill of sale is enough to get a new title on a previously untitled motor. You just have to fill out the other forms.

if it were me - I would keep using your motors as is without title. If you decide to sell in the future, all the buyer would have to do is fill out the affidavit saying they purchased the motor from the original owner and that the motor was never titled. As long as the motor does not come up stolen when they got to apply for title, yer all good.
speckle-catcher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #7
BritishSlave
Banned

BritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  BuccaneerBritishSlave has been promoted to the rank of  Buccaneer
Here's the link to TP&W. What I see, you will need proof of ownership from La. I have had real good luck registering out of state purchased boats at the TP&W office at Greenspoint. Just be sure and take your checkbook! Don't try to do it by mail, you will go nuts before you finally go to one of their offices.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fishboat...g_and_selling/
BritishSlave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #8
coachlaw
WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!

Keep 'em coming guys. No worries about liens or them being stolen. Both were purchased new, but I don't have proof of ownership because in La. there is no documentation needed at all on motors. The receipts are long long gone. - Coach
Old 10-05-2006, 07:56 AM   #9
midnighthoudini
Registered Users-pm+

midnighthoudini has disabled reputation
The only reason to title the engine is so the state can collect sales tax. If you intend to keep the engine, there is no need to register it in your name. The only problem arises whenever you decide to sell it and the new owner may want to have it in his name. I ran a late model engine for some time--not registered in my name. There is a particular year when all of this came into effect and if the engine was never titled in the beginning, there is no regulation concerning the titling of it now.

Call parks and wildlife here in Austin, they are very helpful.
midnighthoudini is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2006, 08:54 AM   #10
Vee3
dedicated fire poker

Location: Used to be considered rural...now -they- are building all around.
Vee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to PirateVee3 has been promoted to Pirate
I bought a boat a couple of years ago out of Florida that does not title outboards. It was REAL easy to get a title. I filled out and signed and affidavit(that the engine is coming from a non-title state) that TP&W provided and attached a picture of the serial number for each engine A pencil tracing is also OK, but Johnson hides the SN in a recessed area. I payed the fee and got new titles in about 2 weeks. I went to the TP&W office in LaMarque to do it all in person, but I'm sure mail would be fine, too.
Vee3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message