Charlies Bait Camp, Seadrift - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Fishing & Game Reports

Notices

Old 10-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered Users-pm+

branson is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Charlies Bait Camp, Seadrift

I am new to fishing the flats. I just bought a new boat (tran cat) and plan on fishing out of Charlies Bait Camp, Seadrift. Can anyone give me any info that will be of value to me as I learn more about boating and fishing in that area.
Old 10-19-2004, 08:52 AM
Registered Users-pm+

BertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to Pirate
practice backing your trailer, before you get to the ramp......lol.....and remember, that ramp is wide enough for three trailers, provided everyone backing has a clue.....

also, after you load your trailer........if you need to move rods and gear from the boat to your truck, pull truck and trailer way up......past the big dumpster....this allows others room for access egress to and from the ramp.......if you plan on cleaning your catch at Charlies......then unload your ice chest, then repark the trailer, in the lot......again, this leaves room.....
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks for the clues. Does Charlies usually have bait. I hope I will get to use their fish cleaning facilities. Are their any secret fishing holes you care to disclose. Our boat will be ready sometime mid-November. We (my son and I are partners on this boat venture) plan on making our maiden voyage then.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:09 AM
Registered Users-pm+

BertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to PirateBertS has been promoted to Pirate
yes, they usually have bait......

as far as secret hole, depends on your boat......Shoalwater is always a good bet....the south shoreline can be good.......as well as Pringle and Contee lakes....even the back lakes.....during the colder months, First chain reefs, and anywhere there is mud and shell......
Old 10-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Registered Users-pm+

QBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to PirateQBall has been promoted to Pirate
Branson

Bert has just given you the single best piece of advice you will ever receive when it comes to the ownership and operation of a boat - Boat Ramp Etiquette!

I seldom fish out of charlies, but there is some good fishing close. Get you a top spot map from Academy and pay attention to how other boats navigate the cuts around there. Don't park close to anyone that's fishing unless they wave you over, and be extremely cautious of wade fisherman in the area. There's usually quite a few of them and it's important to give them lots of room.

Go back and read some of the old threads on this board, there's a wealth of information to be found if you take a little time to look for it.

I wish you safe boating and full stringers.............Q
Old 10-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Registered Users-pm+

oh yeah, if you fish Shoalwater......be aware of kayakers.....in the cut on the east side, as well as fishing in the lake.....
Old 10-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Thanks for all the good advice. I am new to this forum and to boating in shallow water. We bought a Tran Cat so we should be able to navigate in shallow water. We intend on be very cautious as we are new to this. We will always try to keep two pairs of alert eyes out for boats and wade fishermen.

Yes, I will search some of the previous threads.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:33 AM
Registered Users-pm+

with that boat, you should have easy access to Shoalwater, the Lagoon areas, and both are close to Charlies, also little to no problem with Pringle, and Contee...one word of caution, on entering Pringle.....the cut to enter, first makes a hard turn to the right, then another hard turn to the left......usually very visible....use extremem caution..it's very narrow......... and do like Q says, get a map.....and each trip, go a little further afield......try new spots........and above all.......be courteous....it isn't difficult, although, it may be thankless most of the time.......
Old 10-19-2004, 11:11 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Weedless is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Weedless is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Espiritu Santo...

...looks like it's gonna be my new 'home waters'. Moved from San Antonio to Austin during the summer and the straightest shot to saltwater appears to take me to Seadrift/PO'C. Finally got my boat outta the barn near Floresville and brought it to Austin this past weekend and am heading for the ramp for a dawn launch this Saturday. I'll probably skip Charlies and put in at the Boat Dock in PO'C and fish the edges of the channel near the backside of the big jetties, soaking mullet and perch for big reds. If the incoming breakers aren't rolling the channel too much, there's a couple of holes along the south jetty that can hold some awesome trout. If all else fails, I'll likely work the edge of the flats near the coast guard station, bumping a white curly tailed jig tipped with dead shrimp for flatties. Whatever!!! With the move and remote location of my boat barn, I haven't been on saltwater since June. For a guy whose goal is SW fishing twice a month, that's way too long.

Branson, give me a PM once you get the boat. I'll be busy hunting in Nov and Dec, but don't mind showing you what I know about that area once we get closer to spring.

Bob
Old 10-19-2004, 11:11 AM

Redfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to Pirate
That boat will run were it won't float ., So if you shut down be sure theres enough water to float the boat,and if your running and it stops (runs aground) your in deep do-do. I ran my shoalwater aground one day and when it stopped it wouldn't budge.
We were stuck hard and had to wait on high tide;luckaly it was low and came in.
Just because you can run 3 ft from the shore ,doesn't mean you have to .Run several hundred yards from the bank and go in to were you want fish,so you wont be srewin up someones wade fishing.
Some people think since they have a shallow draft that they're supposed to run right down the banks and run all the fish off along the way.
I do have a shallow draft boat and I'm not one of those.

R.R.