Aluminum reel frames - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 06-28-2006, 04:23 PM   #1
hbat065
Registered Users-pm+

hbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Flag Aluminum reel frames

I am thinking about buying an aluminum reel frame for my TLD30II was wondering what you think about the Willfish Topless frame or the Tiburon frames?
Thanks
Joe
hbat065 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2006, 05:31 PM   #2
Snagged
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
It's a lot of money for little gain. Check out the tackle board over on Allcoast about this.
Snagged is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2006, 05:33 PM   #3
Argo
Registered Users-pm+

Argo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to PirateArgo has been promoted to Pirate
buy an aluminum reel and forget about the TLD
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
gunsmoke
Registered Users-pm+

gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gunsmoke is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
TLD's are junk. I tossed the two I bought right into the deep after both broke on their first outing. Trash. Shouldn't be marketed to people who think it is a great light weight reel. Breaks at the reel seat with 20lbs of drag. Shimano should be ashamed of this reel. Just buy the Tiagra. It cost more, but will last a lifetime VS one outing. Shimano makes some great products and has passed up Penn the sleeping gaint. If the reel isn't made of aluminum either cast or machined I won't buy it. All composite fishing reels are caca.
gunsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
hbat065
Registered Users-pm+

hbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerhbat065 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
That is what I am trying to do is keep from breaking one. I already have the TLD and don't have the funds to buy an other reel at this time. I was just wondering about trying to patch one with a frame.
Thanks for your replys
Joe
hbat065 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2006, 07:44 AM   #6
gostomskij
Registered Users-pm+

gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gostomskij is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Take it from someone who has a butt load of Shimano in his boat, buy AVET. I got one this year and it is MUCH better quality than Shimano, with a better drag system. Contact MikeW on this board for AVET reels. You will be glad you did.

Victor
gostomskij is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2006, 07:49 AM   #7
Muddskipper
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
To answer you question about the after market frames- I have only heard good thing about the "Willfish" Aluminum Frames.

Sure If you were to buy another reel you should start with only the stock aluminum frames ie: Tiagra, Avet, Accurate

but if YOU feel its cost effective, go for it !!

I think the frames are cool looking, personally
Muddskipper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2006, 09:24 AM   #8
Crossroads
Registered Users-pm+

Crossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to PirateCrossroads has been promoted to Pirate
I have two Penn 4/0 wides and a Penn 6/0 that I have fully Accuratized over the past 5 years. More of a hobby that a dollar comparison. I enjoyed doing the piece-meal upgrades. My advise for the TLD would be to use the Tiburon frame if you find one. Also, there are a lot of people that trash-talk upgrade parts but they have no experience with them, don't under estimate the upgrade of aluminum sideplates. They will perfectly align the spool, dissipate drag heat, and at least in the case of Accurate contain excellent bearings. Charkbait may be able to locate a Tiburon frame for your TLD, they are considerably cheaper than the local tackle stores for upgrade parts.
Crossroads is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2006, 10:39 AM   #9
jig
Registered Users-pm+

jig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Piratejig has been promoted to Pirate
I have a TLD30II that I love, but this situation is really starting to bug me. I have not been worried because I fish at 15# drag on strike, and only go to max drag when I am out of the harness when the fish is close to the boat. But this is just getting to be too commom a failure.

I think if you buy a frame you are out $200. OR, if you sell the TLD on ebay for $200 (which is reasonable if in good condition, then buy an Avet for $400, you are still out $200.

I too bought the TLD because it was lightest 2spd reel available with the line capacity I needed.

Knowing what I know now, I would have bought an Avet in hindsight, so I am seriously thinking about it now.
jig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
DMC
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker

DMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to PirateDMC has been promoted to Pirate
But could you sell the TLD, with aluminum frame, for 400 dollars? Even with the TLD upgraded, you still have a TLD. I equate it with guns. You can buy a Remy 700 and spend 2 Gs on it and you still have a Remy 700. Or, you could just buy H.S. Precision from the start.

The third option is that you continue to use what you have, because, as you said, it hasn't caused you a problem yet. Like with the guns, the base model remy will kill a deer as dead as the 2400.00 H.S. Precision.
DMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message