Wakeless boat - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 07-08-2013, 07:22 AM
Registered Users-pm+

cva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Pirate
If you haven't Googled there is some stuff.."wakeless boat"
Old 07-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Registered Users-pm+

boaterdave is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Wakeless Boat

http://www.psychosnail.com/boatspeedcalculator.aspx
Old 07-08-2013, 10:00 AM
River predator

Longshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to PirateLongshot270 has been promoted to Pirate
There are a few sailboats for sale here in Austin dirt cheap. Buy one of them and rig up a small outboard to it.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Newbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to PirateNewbomb Turk has been promoted to Pirate
2 to 10 people? Look into a 4 door. Prolly a few builders in Florida..
Attached Images

Last edited by Newbomb Turk; 07-08-2013 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Registered Users-pm+

SaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks Turk, I'll take the pickup model.

As i said, 10 would be a hell froze over emergency and it would last for all of 500 yards. 99% of the time, one person on board.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:34 PM
Banned

chugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyTX View Post
Chugger-

In fact, that is the exact use. I've looked at theirs, and others. I don't think the rowing club is willing (or able) to pay for a launch at this time.

So, my thinking was that I could find something I could use personally for fun, but use as a coaching launch as well.
I have seen those being used on Town Lake in Austin - it might be worth inquiring to the Austin Rowing Club or UT Crew to see if they ever sell used ones (probably not) . I paddle k1 kayaks which are very tippy. I can tell you that the jon boats that the teams use from up north when they come down throw up a very big wake - mainly because they use a
tiller and sit in the back at low speed.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered Users-pm+

SaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to PirateSaltyTX has been promoted to Pirate
Chugger-

I know some of the guys that run those on a daily basis. Problem is that Austin is well funded. We aren't down here. They don't sell their stuff often, but you can bet I would be in line waiting!

I have pondered the hobie cat idea, but do wonder about stability/safety and such. In the same breath, how is it much different than a purpose built wakeless or a sailboat being blown along at 25 knots with a couple of people on the trampoline
Old 07-08-2013, 05:32 PM
Banned

chugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Piratechugger has been promoted to Pirate
A jon type boat, whether aluminum or fiberglass (Carolina Skiff), might work as long as you get the boat trimmed out correctly to run flat at low speed. That would mean getting a tiller arm extension so operator could sit in the middle and perhaps adding weight (gas tank, battery,etc ) forward. An old scooter boat might work as well - like the Majek 15' .
Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 AM
Registered Users-pm+

longboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Pirate
I was going to suggest a displacement catamaran. You mentioned depth of 18, was that 18 inches or 18 feet? A true catamaran would probably draft 3-4'.

Longer is better.
For a displacement monohull, your boat would need to be near 80' long for a true displacement speed of 15mph (13 knots). With a catamaran, you could probably get away with a 40' boat with a no-wake speed of around 15mph. The hulls should be pretty narrow, though.

Maybe you could rig a couple sculling hulls together and see what happens with a 5hp motor...
Old 07-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by longboat View Post
I was going to suggest a displacement catamaran. You mentioned depth of 18, was that 18 inches or 18 feet? A true catamaran would probably draft 3-4'.

Longer is better.
For a displacement monohull, your boat would need to be near 80' long for a true displacement speed of 15mph (13 knots). With a catamaran, you could probably get away with a 40' boat with a no-wake speed of around 15mph. The hulls should be pretty narrow, though.

Maybe you could rig a couple sculling hulls together and see what happens with a 5hp motor...
The shallowest is about 18", but that's rare. Ordinarily, 3-6 feet.

Wakeless I guess is a bit of a misnomer- Even the purpose built wakeless launches aren't truly wakeless at 12 mph. But, the wake is quite minimal. A 40' long boat is a bit ridiculous and you'd never be able to turn, or get close.

A 15-20' hobie cat or similar doesn't pull 3-4' of draft. I'm sure it would be different loaded, but I'm still guessing under 1' in most cases. I know the purpose built wakeless (like stillwater) don't draft much over a foot.