Gafftop - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 07-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Registered Users-pm+

texasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matetexasangler07 has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Gafftop

It seems like every year I want to focus on catching something new. This past weekend we got a couple small gafftop around 3 lbs and they were pretty good fighters. We were targeting small sharks and reds in the surf (which I never do, but my little bro and girlfriend wanted to catch a shark). I'm always fishing artificials in the back lakes so don't see to many gafftop. So I'm curious about where and how to catch gafftop? What do they like? Food and habitat? Surf or bay? I want to try and catch a big one just to challenge myself. I don't have a boat by the way.
Old 07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Always imitated... never duplicated.

JShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to PirateJShupe has been promoted to Pirate
Not sure but I hear Gafftop soup is the rage.
Old 07-04-2013, 12:15 AM
Registered Users-pm+

perchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirate
Gafftop

Live finger mullet in the surf. Have fun!
Old 07-04-2013, 08:44 AM
Registered Users-pm+

yakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosunyakinhoot has been promoted to the rank of Bosun
Doowapstart cut bait

I caught 4 nice gafftops a month ago on cut mullet.
Old 07-04-2013, 02:05 PM
Registered Users-pm+

pickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Pirate
I had one hit a topwater earlier this week. I've caught them on mirrorlures spoons and of course soft plastics. They are pretty aggressive. Itseems to be a good year for them and I think you could catch them in the bay or in the surf. Natural bait would be a good way to target them. So catch all you can and thin em out! And, much obliged...
Old 07-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Registered Users-pm+

fishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Riggerfishguru00 has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Use to catch them on cut eel...
Old 07-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Registered Users-pm+

scm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Piratescm has been promoted to Pirate
There is no finer bait for gafftop than FRESH white squid.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Registered Users-pm+

acoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirateacoastalbender has been promoted to Pirate
Caught lots in CC bay on live shrimp...or maybe the same one...all about 4, 4 1/2 lbs, getting good at keeping them out of the boat while de-hooking...

Old 07-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Registered Users-pm+

pickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Piratepickn'fish has been promoted to Pirate
Be careful handling those gafftop. I know man had to go to the emergency room this past week. He was finned in the stomach and couldn't pull it out after cutting it off with pliers. Talk about nasty. Can't go in the water for awhile. It was the pectoral fin "what got him"...
Old 07-04-2013, 11:38 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Orion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to PirateOrion85 has been promoted to Pirate
Any fresh cut bait. Seem to run in late spring/early summer. In May I caught around 25 in the surf at matagorda in just a few hours one afternoon.