Southern Oman GT trip starts tomorrow(March 23) - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Go Back   2CoolFishing > Bluewater Forums > Jigging & Popping Forum

Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
Southern Oman GT trip starts tomorrow(March 23)

I have been in contact with Ed of No Boundaries for this GT popping trip over a year and finally I am in Salalah, Oman now.

It was very tough to have three overseas trips in a month, but I can not complain all the trips are valuable and priceless.

This trip is for big GT over 50 kg and the Sourthern Oman is famous for it.
It took about 25 hours from JFK to Salalah, Oman and it takes another three hours by a car from Salalah to No Boundaries. But I am not really tired. I think it is because I used to long flights and I could watch many movies on the flight.

I brought only two popping rods and two jigging rods to make luggage as light as possible. I put two 8' Black Hole Cape Cod Special Nano and Graphite rods in a PVC rod case and I carried 5' Black Hole two-piece 250g and 80g in a carry-on rod case.

I was scared when I didn't see my rod case at luggage claim belt in Salalah Airport. I asked them to look for my rod case. After waiting 15 minutes someone brought my rod case. Salalah Airport is very small and it didn't take much time to go through immigration/custom process.
They checked my DVD movies one by one.
I took a free shuttle bus to Crowne Plaza Hotel which is about 4 miles from the airport. The hotel room is very clean and they are very kind and courteous. The No Boundaires are three hours away by a car and taxi will be here by 10:00 am.
6 days fishing starts from tomorrow (March 23).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 12:25 AM

ksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirateksong has been promoted to Pirate
I had a great breakfast. I am glad I purchased breakfast when I booked the hotel for $10 additional.
I had little knowledge about Oman before I came here. Salalah looks new town and is very clean.
I though Oman is just desert.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
Registered Users-pm+

cgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Pirate
Oman is a phenomenal place. I spent some time in Muscat. I would have no problem letting my wife and 6 mo old run the streets. Very safe. I am jealous of your fishing trip. Please keep us informed.

Oh and you may want to try fishing by hand at least once. I hear that's how all the locals do it.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM

To No Boundaries Lodge in huwaymiah, Oman

I chose United Airline to fly to Salalah because there is nonstop flight from Washington DC to Dubai with nonstop connection flight from Dubai to Salalah, Oman. In retrospect, it was a good choice though the air ticket price is about $200 more because I could use United Lounge in Washington DC Airport and Dubai Airport waiting 4 - 5 hours for connecting flight.

I arrived at Salalah at 11:30 pm and stayed at Crowne Plaza in Salalah.
I met Mark Harris from Bali on the next morning and we headed for No Boundaries Lodge in Shuwaymiah by a taxi arranged by Ed of No Boundaries. The taxi fare is about $300US - 350US from Salalah to Shuwaymiah which is about 300 km.

We drove through desert for 300 km and we had a few gas stations along with a few shops.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:09 PM

After driving for three hours, we finally arrived at No Boundaries.

For some reason, I thought Ed is about 40 - 50 years old, but he is in early 30' to my surprise. Ed and his wife Angela welcomed us wholeheartedly. Jay and his friend from Australia were there. They said they couldn't fish GT much due to bad weather.

After dinner, Mark and I prepared tackle for tomorrow.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:47 PM
Lifes 2 Short 2 B So Serious All Da Time

hog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Piratehog has been promoted to Pirate
Im enjoying reading the report story and the photos Kil
Old 03-31-2013, 02:52 AM

1st Day GT Popping

We left the lodge around 5:30 am and it took about 10 minutes drive to the boat ramp. The first run to our first destination in Hallaniyat Island is about 25 miles. Jay's group on the second boat went to the other side of Islands.

I love this boat. The boat is specially designed for GT popping and three guys can cast comfortably on the bow.
She cruises about 27 - 29 knots with twin Yamaha 150 hp engines.
They even have bean bags on the boat !!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:53 AM

We started fishing by 7:00 am.
On the first drift, Mark had a hit by missed and a few seconds later, Ed got a nice GT on stickbait What a start.

Ed fought the fish expertly and the fight didn't last long, but the first GT was about 45kg - 50 kg (estimate).

Old 03-31-2013, 02:53 AM

After quick tag/release of the GT, we concentrated on the area. Mark had a hit, but the fish pulled hook after fighting briefly.

I had a hit on my Heru Skipjack when we moved to other area, but I knew immediately it was not the size of fish I was looking for.

We decided to do some inshore fishing with light tackle.
I found Ed loves inshore fishing as much as hunting for trophy GT.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:17 AM

We spent 2nd day and 4th day for GT popping, and 3rd day and 5th day for inshore popping.

We didn't go to the area where we had GT on the 1st day and fished other areas looking for GT for nothing.
On the 4th day, Ed ran the boat 120 plus miles in search of GT.
Ed said they had excellent GT trip in March last year, but GT fishing has been very slow this year. He think main body of GT didn't arrive yet because lower water temp this season.

Inshore Fishing

When Ed told me we would go inshore fishing, I had little idea what to bring expecting GT fishing every day. So I didn't prepare any tackle for inshore fishing.

On the 3rd day we headed to north.
Ed used Yamaga Blue Sniper 75/4 with Stella 5000 spooled with PE2 line
and Mark used Carpenter inshore rod.

They used several different small poppers or stickbait.
It was very pleasant to watch Ed and Mark have constant action with many differetn species. I am glad Ed chose inshore popping. I never expected bream (kind of snapper) hammer poppers.