Cattle panel ground blind - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Registered Users-pm+

HBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to PirateHBR has been promoted to Pirate
Cattle panel ground blind

Thinking about building a panel structure to the size and shape we want then taking cedar and other natural stuff from around and wiring it all to it . Once that is all done get in it and take bolt cutters and put openings where u want them then cut the brush out of those holes too . Just not sure if we should put some type of material up between the wire and brush or not . Has anyone tried it ? Most ground blinds aren't big enough for 2 people with 1 bow hunting and the other having a camera . Thanks !
Old 08-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Make blood !!!

sea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Piratesea sick has been promoted to Pirate
I would use the roll burlap type stuff as a wrap under the brush. And use heavy duty zip ties to hold the brush and wrap together to
Old 08-05-2012, 03:01 AM
topcat5

topcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Piratetopcat5 has been promoted to Pirate
Ground blinds

Texas Parks & Wildlife uses rolls of hog wire to build their ground blinds. The rolls are 48" tall and several feet long. Can get long enough to make a circle big enough to hide 2 people pretty well. Then brush it up or use the burlap as was mentioned in an earlier thread.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:27 AM
Registered Users-pm+

porkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirateporkrind has been promoted to Pirate
Shoot ingledink91 a pm, he makes them.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:33 AM
Common Sense AIN'T Common!

Texhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to PirateTexhntr1022 has been promoted to Pirate
We build em w/ hog panel & t posts and make a slightly overlapping circle. That way you have an "open" entrance, but no light gets in. Then cover the outside w/ burlap and put those fast grass mats on it.cut a few shooting windows in front and on the sides but leave a solid back. We also take a couple pieces and bow it over the top. Not too high. Just enough to give a little space inside especially if you're bow hunting. Cover the top the same way. It makes it dark inside (which hides you better) you stay cooler in the heat and keeps a lot of rain off of you. The fast grass gives some fairly constant movement and sound which also helps to cover your movement and sounds.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered Users-pm+

NWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texhntr1022 View Post
We build em w/ hog panel & t posts and make a slightly overlapping circle. That way you have an "open" entrance, but no light gets in. Then cover the outside w/ burlap and put those fast grass mats on it.cut a few shooting windows in front and on the sides but leave a solid back. We also take a couple pieces and bow it over the top. Not too high. Just enough to give a little space inside especially if you're bow hunting. Cover the top the same way. It makes it dark inside (which hides you better) you stay cooler in the heat and keeps a lot of rain off of you. The fast grass gives some fairly constant movement and sound which also helps to cover your movement and sounds.
Did the exact same thing last year and it worked great! Kinda looked more like a tiki hut that would serve cold margaritas than a bow blind but the deer didn't mind it at all. Killed several at 15 yards from it. This year we will just shake the snakes out and rebrush it a little. Cheaper than the pop up kind that only last a couple years.

Also look into the rolls of welded rebar like you would pour in concrete sidewalk. You can get rolls 6' x 150' then. It whatever size you need for how big a ring you want.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:52 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Chunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to PirateChunky has been promoted to Pirate
We use indooor/outdoor carpet for the outside. They work great. Hot at times in the early or off season, but very effective, big and comfortable.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:44 PM
PURE SOUTH TEXAS

Bukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to PirateBukkskin has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWcurlew View Post
Did the exact same thing last year and it worked great! Kinda looked more like a tiki hut that would serve cold margaritas than a bow blind but the deer didn't mind it at all. Killed several at 15 yards from it. This year we will just shake the snakes out and rebrush it a little. Cheaper than the pop up kind that only last a couple years.

Also look into the rolls of welded rebar like you would pour in concrete sidewalk. You can get rolls 6' x 150' then. It whatever size you need for how big a ring you want.
I built one last year with the concrete wire. It was too flimsy. But, it had been rusting out in the wheather for about 25 yrs according to the ranch owner. Do they make different sizes in that? It is a lot cheaper than cattle panel per foot. I remember saying , next time I will use cattle panel(much stouter). I covered it with burlap and just carried it around in the back of my little Toyota and set it here and there. It was pretty cool until the wind kicked up. Make sure you have a good way to tie it down.

Edit: If I would have drove t-posts in the ground and then wrapped it with the concrete wire it probably would have been fine. I was just holding mine down with big rocks(as to be mobile) and it was no bueno in the wind.

Last edited by Bukkskin; 08-07-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Rack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to Pirate
I made a portable one out of two five foot pieces. I used bale wire and connected them so they would fold up. I used camo burlap and would brush it in. I would open it up into a wide V shape and drive rebar at both ends. The rebar could be pulled out of the ground easy when I wanted to move it. Allowed me to hunt different pastures with different wind directions. Shot some nice bucks out of it.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM
Registered Users-pm+

NWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to PirateNWcurlew has been promoted to Pirate
Bukkskin:

To be honest I don't know how long the rebar wire will last. The ones I built last year actually came from scrap off one of my job sites and was already rusting. It was still strong enough for me to mold it to the size I needed and get it out in the field. I wasn't planning to move them around that much just leave them in the same spot and clean it up every year.

The galvanized panels are just expensive and not tall enough for what I wanted to do. We cut cut the panels along the top so that I could fold them in making a dome overhead and black out the inside better.

I'm going to try to make it down there this weekend and if I can, I'll get some pictures of the one I built.