For those of us that live >150 miles from the salt and don't get to fish every weekend, or every other day for that matter. What is the best strategy for determining an area to fish.
Here is mine, but it doesn't always work, and am modifying my thought process with every subsequent trip:
1. Look at the weather three days before the trip
2. Once wind is determined, look at hook n line maps to get a starting point.
3. Choose what seems to be protected areas and has the bottom fish seem to be holding on according to recent reports.
4. Head down to the town I'm fishing (usually Rockport)
5. This one doesn't always happen but...let my friends talk me out of 1 - 4 and fish someplace they think will hold fish.
6. If 5 didn't happen, get to an area I suspect is full of bait (birds, flipping mullet, etc.)
7. Fish suspected area for a bit to gauge activity
8. Panic when fish don't jump on my line
9. Default to old habits from kayaking days and head close to areas I know.
Just curious if these are drastically different than what most of y'all do.