Mako Pro 17 Skiff review Day '0' - Page 22 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 04-01-2013, 04:23 AM   #211
AHL_1901
Registered Users-pm+

AHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgourley11 View Post
Jonc the 18lb should be ok. Got a 20lb and toke my boat out to Galveston Tx boat cut area on jetties this weekend and the wave and wind picked up pretty good by the time we left. Anchor held us in position no problem. Have to say the ride back into to Texas City Dike boat dock, the bay was really choppy. The boat handed the 3 to 4 footer great. Only little spray we got was when I turned and wind caught the water. Love the ride of the boat.
Awesome report. Just you on board?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
AHL_1901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2013, 12:16 PM   #212
rgourley11
Registered Users-pm+

rgourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
drum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL_1901 View Post
Awesome report. Just you on board?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
No me and my brother.
rgourley11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #213
AHL_1901
Registered Users-pm+

AHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to PirateAHL_1901 has been promoted to Pirate
couple more. I was just looking at them again at bass pro today. The "sales guy" said the 40 and 60 HP mercs are made in the USA. That goes against everything iv read? Also, are these boats able to float when swamped? I know they are foam filled but with out a self bailing deck I'm slightly worried about getting the green water out if a big boat wake catches me. Anyone put a t top one one?

Thanks again, really valuable thread.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #214
joebucko
Registered Users-pm+

joebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Riggerjoebucko has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I don't know for sure but I assumed that my the boat would float when swamped due to the way it is designed. As for the Mercury motor the 40-50-60 are the exact same 4 cylinder motor when you review the specs. I don't know what they change/adjust to change the horsepower but there is a definate difference between the 3 when powering the boat. I have a 2013 60hp Mercury and it was made in China.
joebucko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 11:48 PM   #215
highanddryinco
Registered Users-pm+

highanddryinco is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Hi all,
Just got back from the Destin, Florida trip. All in all I'm still pretty happy with things. Last year at this time the boat was still brand new and I was still in shake down mode. This year the wind howled for a good part of the trip which kept us in the harbor more than we would have liked. Had a house rented with a dock so the boat was always ready to go...that was really nice! Snuck out in the Gulf a few times to some near shore reefs. Furthest out was only two miles from shore. Other was only a mile out but five down from the pass. I got some funny looks out there...totally justifiable I guess. But to any of you still planning your new boat upfitting, if you can swing the few extra bucks for the I-pilot...do it. You'll be happy you did. We didn't even pull the anchor out of the box once for the whole week. Out in the Gulf over the wrecks, the big guys were regularly pulling/dropping anchor moving 50 feet from one spot to another. I may have had the funny looking little boat but if I saw a school l on the screen, I hit the anchor lock and there we stayed. If I wanted to move, a few button pushes and we're over the next spot. Even in the pass under the Destin Bridge with an out going tide, it would hold us in place while we let pinfish drift back under the bridge. "If" I would have hooked into one of those bull reds, I could have started the motor and went after him without worrying about dropping anchor and retrieving later. My big gripe...The darn livewell was up to it's old tricks again. No rhyme or reason to when it would work and when it wouldn't. Sometimes it would fill when sitting still. Other times I would have to goose it in reverse for 20 yards to make it take a prime. Other times it would hold prime between auto cycles while moving forward. Frustrating. Time for some modifications.
The only other issue is one I've been watching since late last season. I've had an intermittent miss or slip while taking off from a dead stop. I've been trying to identify if it was the prop blowing out or if I had a cylinder cutting in and out. Once up on plane it clears up. Weird and hard to put a finger on it. Since it didn't do it from new, I'm leaning toward the cylinder. The Merc guy at Bass Pro said that there was a batch of that series of engine that had some coil problems and that's pretty much what it acts like. I'll get it over to him and post what comes of it. Other than that, two trips to Florida and back and one to Lake Michigan and back, and nothing is the worse for wear. I did have my spare fuel tank just sitting on the deck for the trip home with about three gallons left in it...it wore four little spots on the deck to the point were the non-slip nubs are gone. I had it tied in but not tied down, my bad. Inner treads on the tires are worn, outers look new. Now if it will just warm up here.
Attached Images

highanddryinco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 AM   #216
AHL_1901
Registered Users-pm+

Awesome. Your going to need to post more pictures...

Sent from my Nexus 10
Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #217
Reloder28
Banned

Reloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to PirateReloder28 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by reel legs View Post
I purchased this boat to LEARN, not to bust my wallet. That's what college was for.

Common sense goes a long way.
College educations don't include common sense.
Reloder28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 09:19 PM   #218
rgourley11
Registered Users-pm+

rgourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiergourley11 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
drum Trolling motor

Hey highanddryinco.
Looking at getting the riptide 55lb with 48" with i-pilot, but not sure if it will hold the boat in postion. What trust and length do you have. Thanks
rgourley11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #219
highanddryinco
Registered Users-pm+

I'm using the 80#, 54", w/two group 27 Optima Blue tops. Quick release mount as well.
Attached Images

Last edited by highanddryinco; 04-03-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Added second photo.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #220
highanddryinco
Registered Users-pm+

Oh and Joebucko, I did get the Carver 71017NP cover you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation. Plenty of width, maybe even more than I needed. I ended up traveling without it and just using the console cover. Even as good as it fit, I couldn't get the flapping balloon syndrome out of it enough for my satisfaction. I was afraid it would beat itself to death after 50 hours on the road.
For anyone interested...$173 at BoatersOutlet.com out of Utah. Included shipping, tie down kit and a storage bag. Heck of a price!