98 chevy 1500 overheating - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Trucks/Towing/Trailering Forum

Old 01-25-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
southpaw
Most Interesting Fisherman in the World

southpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Pirate
98 chevy 1500 overheating

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum on 2cool. Seems like there's a lot of knowledge on here so I'd like to thank yall in advance for any advice.

I've got a 1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with a 5.7L V8. Now I still believe that this may be the greatest truck ever made, but in her old age she's been having a few problems. Lately it's been with the temperature. Usually when operating, my temp holds pretty steadily around 130-150. Awhile back though it began bouncing around. It'll heat up to over 200 then go back down, then after awhile it does the same thing over an over again. My truck hasn't over heated any but I'm sure this is not good for my engine. So far I've replaced the thermostat, even boiled the new thermostat to make sure it's opening at the right temp, flushed my radiator twice and am now kind of out of ideas. My next option would be to replace my heater core but that's kind of a pain in the butt and i don't want to do that if it could be something else. Has anybody had this problem before? If so what else do you think it could be? Thanks again in advance for any advice guys and for the great info on this board.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
southpaw

southpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Pirate
I forgot to add: If I turn on my heater it's warm but not nearly as hot as it used to be and I can smell coolant. Heater core?
Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
seaark
Registered Users-pm+

seaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunnerseaark has been promote to Gunner
drum

heater core for sure if temp gauge bounces and you have already changed thermostat . its not really that bad changing , just the back screw against firewall is a pain to get to . after i changed mine just did not replace that screw ,boxed sealed fine . went through the exact same thing about a year ago. if ya have any problems pm me i will try to help been turning wrenches for about 20 years
seaark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
southpaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaark View Post
heater core for sure if temp gauge bounces and you have already changed thermostat . its not really that bad changing , just the back screw against firewall is a pain to get to . after i changed mine just did not replace that screw ,boxed sealed fine . went through the exact same thing about a year ago. if ya have any problems pm me i will try to help been turning wrenches for about 20 years
Thanks for the help seaark. I'm gonna go ahead and buy a new heater core after work then get after it this weekend. Hopefully I won't have too much trouble changing it out, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks again
Old 01-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #5
BIG PAPPA
Tripped Outtings

BIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to Pirate
Here you go

Heater Core Replacement
Removal Procedure

[LEFT]1. Drain the coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling
2. Remove the instrument panel storage compartment. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
3. Disconnect the electrical connectors, as necessary.
4. Remove the center floor air distribution duct.
5. Remove the hinge pillar trim panels. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
6. Remove the blower motor cover.
7. Remove the blower motor. Refer to Blower Motor and Fan Replacement .
8. Remove the steering column. Refer to the applicable procedure:
[COLOR=black]
9. Roll back the instrument panel. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
10. Remove the coolant recovery reservoir. Refer to Coolant Recovery Reservoir Replacement in Engine Cooling.
11. Remove the heater hoses. Refer to Heater Hoses Replacement .

12. While holding the heater case to the cowl, remove the screw on the interior side of the cowl, near the evaporator pipe, if equipped.

13. On the engine side of the cowl, remove the 4 screws that hold the heater case to the cowl.
14. On the engine side of the cowl, remove the 2 nuts that hold the heater case to the cowl.
15. Remove the heater case.
Ask an assistant for help, if necessary.
16. Remove the 7 screws that hold the heater cover to the heater case.
17. Remove the heater cover.
18. Remove the heater core from the retainer.
Installation Procedure

1. Install the heater core into the retainer.
2. Install the 7 screws that hold the heater cover to the heater case. Replace the seals.
3. Install the heater cover.
Verify that the heater cover is properly sealed.
4. Install the heater case.
If necessary, ask an assistant for help.

5. On the engine side of the cowl, install the nuts that hold the heater case to the cowl.
6. On the engine side of the cowl, install the 4 screws that hold the heater case to the cowl.

7. On the interior side of the cowl, install the screw.
Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
8. Tighten the following fasteners:

Tighten
[LEFT][COLOR=black]Tighten the screws on the engine side of the cowl to 1.9 N
BIG PAPPA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
BIG PAPPA
Tripped Outtings

BIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to PirateBIG PAPPA has been promoted to Pirate
Look at step #9

Basically, to do this job RIGHT, you almost remove the entire Dash Carrier Assembly to the point of being able to ROLL it Back.
Pretty big Job.
BIG PAPPA is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #7
TheGoose
'Wait till next year'

TheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to PirateTheGoose has been promoted to Pirate
It's been awhile since I had one of those trucks, but shouldn't the operating temp be closer to 190? 130-150 seems like the thermostat was stuck open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum on 2cool. Seems like there's a lot of knowledge on here so I'd like to thank yall in advance for any advice.

I've got a 1998 Chevy 1500 Z71 with a 5.7L V8. Now I still believe that this may be the greatest truck ever made, but in her old age she's been having a few problems. Lately it's been with the temperature. Usually when operating, my temp holds pretty steadily around 130-150. Awhile back though it began bouncing around. It'll heat up to over 200 then go back down, then after awhile it does the same thing over an over again. My truck hasn't over heated any but I'm sure this is not good for my engine. So far I've replaced the thermostat, even boiled the new thermostat to make sure it's opening at the right temp, flushed my radiator twice and am now kind of out of ideas. My next option would be to replace my heater core but that's kind of a pain in the butt and i don't want to do that if it could be something else. Has anybody had this problem before? If so what else do you think it could be? Thanks again in advance for any advice guys and for the great info on this board.
TheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
Jay Baker
miles of smiles

Jay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to PirateJay Baker has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoose View Post
It's been awhile since I had one of those trucks, but shouldn't the operating temp be closer to 190? 130-150 seems like the thermostat was stuck open.
Yup, It should have a 195 degree thermostat and will normally run about 210
Jay Baker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM   #9
southpaw

Thanks for all of the helpful info guys. I really appreciate it.

I've owned the truck for almost 9 years now and have been through 3 thermostats. I've never had the operating temp above 150. Maybe my gauge is off? But even when I boiled the thermostat recently it still opened around 150.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:15 AM   #10
CaptPb
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon

CaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to PirateCaptPb has been promoted to Pirate
Unless your running a programmer or chip, 195 is a must on a vortec W-31. Even with a chip the new stat will be a 180. Your to cold and probably gobbling gas because it stays in open loop. The fluctuating temp gauge is classic symptom of low coolant. Is the carpet/floor all wet under the heater core? If so, don't wait to replace it. Seen a couple that went from slight leak to all of it on the passenger side floor while sitting at a red light.
Has the water pump ever been replaced? Those will quite pushing very good. Usually right before they start leaking. I've got a 99', last of the 350's. If it spins or pops I've replaced it. PM if you have any questions.
CaptPb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message