2012 Yamaha 225 SHO Engine Break-In - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 01-16-2012, 10:52 AM
Registered Users-pm+

shallowader is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
2012 Yamaha 225 SHO Engine Break-In

Just recently purchased a 2012 Yamaha 225 SHO. Was wondering is there a documented Yamaha engine breakin period or is it left up to the dealer to advise. Interested in anyone that has done this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:08 AM

ReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to Pirate
Listen to the dealer, but I can tell you it's pretty much run 'em like you're going to use it. Even with the Yamaha tech in the loop, the tech and dealer had my 4.2 bumping off the limiter before I even took delivery in the quest for the right prop. When I signed the paperwork, it had 3.7 hours on it and a good amount of that was running hard.

I believe there is a break-in however I have yet to see a rep actually foot-stomp the importance. Normally it's a take it easy the first hour or two to make sure nothing is wrong and then run it normal.

When I had the 2-stroke, different story. I had a planned out 10 hour break-in period that was something like nothing above 3k RPM the first hour varying RPM's every 5-10 minutes. Then in hour 3 it was up to a max continuous of 4k RPM with short bursts to WOT not longer than 10 seconds.

You get the idea.

My advice, run it normal and maintain it! You might want to PM RedfishAndy and ask him - he's a certified Yammie Tech and won't steer you wrong.

Oh yeah, CONGRATS! You're gonna love that SHO
Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 PM

yellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirate
diddo on the above post. Just make sure you do the 30hr service on it.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Registered Users-pm+

shallowader is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
So can you tell me what the do on the 30 hr check?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Redfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to Pirate
You should have gotten a booklet with all the break-in instructions inside.........
Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM

yellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirateyellowskeeter has been promoted to Pirate
oil change and replace lower unit gaskets. there is a thread on it here somewhere.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:21 PM
Registered Users-pm+

KEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to PirateKEMPOC has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowader View Post
Just recently purchased a 2012 Yamaha 225 SHO. Was wondering is there a documented Yamaha engine breakin period or is it left up to the dealer to advise. Interested in anyone that has done this.
Did the dealer not give an owner's manual when you bought the motor?
Old 01-16-2012, 06:44 PM
Always do whatever's next.

FAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to PirateFAT TIRE has been promoted to Pirate
There is a 10 hour break in you better adhere to or you could void warranty. And the first service is at 20 hours. this info is in the owners manual. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...rrent_1803.pdf

Last edited by FAT TIRE; 01-16-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:48 PM

ReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to PirateReelWork has been promoted to Pirate
Thought it was a 20 hour checkup... Guess that is possibly subjective to the dealer, but I believe Yammie says 20. Change out lower unit fluid (and the little gasket), replace engine oil and that's about it. Don't even think the oil filter is replaced.

The 20 hour (or 30?) is one of those chekcups that if you keep your receipt and do the work yourself, it's easy to do and some will... But my only word of caution is on a new motor sometimes it is best to return it to the dealer where an authorized tech with the computer hookups does the work should something go wrong in that first 100 hours. Chances are they will not even hook up the computer, just one of those better safe than sorry scenarios where you are giving the dealer the ability to back you up because you took it to them.

Just my .02..
Old 01-17-2012, 03:58 AM

Redfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to Pirate
The owners manuel also says......DO NOT run the motor when flushing.
I know of two people that were running thier motors when flushing with the hose adapters. According to the Yamaha owners manual, that is the wrong thing to do.
I sure wish someone would make a nose intake flushing ear muff.
I have always prefered to run my motors when flushing.