How long can I keep fish on ice before cleaning? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2012, 03:42 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
How long can I keep fish on ice before cleaning?

Heading to the coast this weekend and wanted to ask y'all what's the longest time you would keep your fish on ice before cleaning?
In regard to specks, reds and flounder, does one keep better than another when in the ice chest?

Thanks guys.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Registered Users-pm+

g2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirateg2outfitter has been promoted to Pirate
I like to keep on heavy ice for a few days. Seams to fillet better
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Gods blessings surround us.

bubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Piratebubbas kenner has been promoted to Pirate
My first thought is the longer you wait to clean them the mushier they get catch em and clean em is always best.At least gut em .
Old 01-09-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered Users-pm+

flatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbas kenner View Post
My first thought is the longer you wait to clean them the mushier they get catch em and clean em is always best.At least gut em .
X2 mostly trout get mushy, there is a big difference in a fresh fish and a day old fish
Old 01-09-2012, 04:07 PM
shake and bake

goodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirategoodwood has been promoted to Pirate
like g2 said in HEAVY ICE trout is good for a few days.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:21 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)Dampy has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
I'm estimating no more than 48 hours on ice, then I'll be back home to clean. I'm pretty sure the hotel we're staying at this weekend wouldn't take to kind if I were to clean them in the room.
So some say trout may get mushy, how about flounder and reds?
Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
Trout and redfish kept several days on ice should be no problem - no different than a bag of fillets in the refrigerator. Pull the drain plug so that they do not get waterlogged and remember to add enough ice periodically to keep them covered. I think that mushy reputation comes from laying in ice water and the flesh absorbing excessive moisture.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:35 PM
2COOL- My home away from fish...

Spectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to PirateSpectre5922 has been promoted to Pirate
However you do it, make sure and bleed them out as soon as you put them on ice. It keeps the blood from seeping into the meat real bad. We noticed a huge difference in bleeding them when they go in the ice and just throwing them on ice and filleting them later.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM
fish control my brain

Muddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to PirateMuddskipper has been promoted to Pirate
If you gut them, but leave them whole, they can last longer than you think.

Fish markets have fresh fish that could be up to a week old, but are still fresh as they were kept near freezing, approx 33- 35 deg.

After a few days they eyes will start to get cloudy, but the smell is an important factor ...... I have found keep them coverd in ice, not a slush or any water.

The nasty water is what will smell .... just keep them draied but covered in ICE.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:53 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Miles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to PirateMiles2Fish has been promoted to Pirate
If you gut and gill em they will keep pretty long...this is what we have to do when we go down to 9 mile fish camp. Stay fresh for 3-4 days.