Making Eva Foam Grips fit on the blank - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > Rod building forum

Old 01-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Alabama rigged anchored up in ZephyrCove

James@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to Pirate
Making Eva Foam Grips fit on the blank

I am having some trouble getting my new eva foam grips that match my fuji sk2 reel seat to fit my blank. I have the cheap mud hole tackle sand paper grit reamers and instead of reaming out the foam it is just stripping the grit off the reamer. NO matter how much pressure I put on the foam grip it won't slide down the rod past halfway and I need to ream it out one way or the other. What are my options? I have considered taking a drill bit in my drill and doing it that way since that is the only way I can think of to make it ream out further. At this point I really don't want to buy the more expensive reamers and I need to get this rod started soon. Any thoughts or opinions will help thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:48 PM

Swampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to Pirate
James, I made pro style reamers for Mudhole for about 5 years and quit making them when they started having their reamers in China. These aren't the cheap reamers with the grit flakes glued on. The ones I have are 1/2'' heavy duty grit tape spiral down the length of the reamer blank. They used to retail for 19.95. I still have four sizes available, small, med and large along with an extra large for offshore grips. The cost is only 12.00 each. Please give me a call if I can help you out with them. These reamers will last you a very long time.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered Users-pm+

johnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Piratejohnmyjohn has been promoted to Pirate
I've used a lot of foam grips and never had to reem any of them out. If they are a tight fit just use soapy water on the blank and slide the foam on down where you want it. I've put the grips in hot water before to make them more flexible before sliding them on too. Just slide the foam down as far as it will fall and put the butt on the floor and finish sliding the foam down where you want it, don't stop the slide till the foam gets where you want it. Twist the foam a little where it will settle out the lengh it wants. After it dries it will never move, I've got 30 year olds still not moving. Keep in mind when you slide the foam on it will shorten in lengh due to the amount it expands depending the size of the blank verses the size of the hole in the foam. On smaller blanks with bigger holes in the foam I do the same thing but put a fine layer of epoxy on the area the foam will be staying. Make sure to wipe of any excess glue before the water dries on the foam. Hopes this helps you out.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:23 PM

Swampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to PirateSwampland has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmyjohn View Post
I've used a lot of foam grips and never had to reem any of them out. If they are a tight fit just use soapy water on the blank and slide the foam on down where you want it. I've put the grips in hot water before to make them more flexible before sliding them on too. Just slide the foam down as far as it will fall and put the butt on the floor and finish sliding the foam down where you want it, don't stop the slide till the foam gets where you want it. Twist the foam a little where it will settle out the lengh it wants. After it dries it will never move, I've got 30 year olds still not moving. Keep in mind when you slide the foam on it will shorten in lengh due to the amount it expands depending the size of the blank verses the size of the hole in the foam. On smaller blanks with bigger holes in the foam I do the same thing but put a fine layer of epoxy on the area the foam will be staying. Make sure to wipe of any excess glue before the water dries on the foam. Hopes this helps you out.
The process that John described above works great on the older softer EVA that's been available for years but within the last couple or three years manufacturers have been introducing a lighter and denser EVA grip material.

These newer grips will not expand as much as the softer EVA grip does therefore they need to be treated more like cork than soft EVA. They are very easy to ream by hand or if you have a lathe you can chuck it up and ream to within an inch or so from where it needs to be glued. Batson has been making them for me for at least three years and are now included in their catalog.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Banned

Bullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerBullard International has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
James,

There is an article written by Jim Trelikes in the December issue of the RodCrafters Journal. Jim gives up a secret that he has been using for many years. It makes installing EVA and Hypalon a snap!!
Old 01-06-2012, 06:52 PM
Registered Users-pm+

flatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirateflatsmaster14 has been promoted to Pirate
I boil water and stick the grip in it for a few mins, helps alot
Old 01-06-2012, 08:15 PM

James@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to PirateJames@SeaKingBlue has been promoted to Pirate
I ended up using a drill bit and I must say that it worked out very very nicely, I took a gamble by drilling it out but I was pleasantly surprised. The cheap reamers I have work fine for cork but end up falling apart on the new denser lighter eva foam. I don't have the funds at the moment to buy 3 more reamers right now for 12 bucks a piece so the drill bit will have to work for now, but I see no problem with doing it that way as long as you don't drill crooked and take it slow. Yeah with the new denser eva foam there is no way to horse it on there.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:54 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Silverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to PirateSilverfox1 has been promoted to Pirate
I use tapered reamers from Bass Tool, use them in my drill press.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Registered Users-pm+

patfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Piratepatfatdaddy has been promoted to Pirate
As long as the grip ID is more than half of the blank OD you can use acetone to slide the grips down as far as you need. Just get as much acetone as possible between the grip and blank and put acetone on the blank below the grip and pucs it down.
Pat
Old 01-07-2012, 02:21 AM

This may be a very stupid question but are yall gluing the foam grips on the rods or just letting them hold in place due to the constriction of the tight fit? I figured that you would just glue them in like a cork grip but after hearing about acetone and soapy water I'm not thinking that you use the insanely tight fit to your advantage and that they will stay there without glue. I already reamed out my grip tonight so it will have to be glued and hopefully the glue works on eva foam but if I should not use glue on the next one I won't.