Ducks in College Station area - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Old 11-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
codymalin92
Registered Users-pm+

codymalin92 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Ducks in College Station area

So I just moved off to Aggieland this year and it's hard for me to drive home 3 hours every weekend to stay on the ducks. I've heard of a few people hunting around the college station area but I have no idea where to even begin. Does anyone know or has ever duck hunted around here?
codymalin92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Mojo281
The Migration Stops Here

Mojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to Pirate
You're gonna need to get out and do some leg work to find birds and find landowners that are willing to let you hunt their place. There is not a lot of public hunting in that area. Obviously, Lake Somerville (A&M Duck Club) is public but it's REALLY low and rarely holds good numbers bc there is too much hunting pressure.

Try and find access to private land along the Brazos River or the Navasota River, those two corridors are probably your best bet and should produce some quality birds!!

Best of luck in your search!!
Mojo281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
aggie2015
Registered Users-pm+

aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)aggie2015 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Im in college station and got a good full spread and a buddy with a good boat blind if u ever find anything
aggie2015 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
williamcr
Registered Users-pm+

williamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Piratewilliamcr has been promoted to Pirate
Find a land owner that steel creek runs through. I use to do very good on steel creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
williamcr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
Rack Ranch
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Rack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to Pirate
Can you hunt Gibbons Creek legally?? If so it should be some good hunting..
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
Mojo281
The Migration Stops Here

Mojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to PirateMojo281 has been promoted to Pirate
I don't think Gibbon's Creek is open to public hunting... Fishing yes, hunting no!!
Mojo281 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
DuckMendenhall
Registered Users-pm+

DuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to PirateDuckMendenhall has been promoted to Pirate
You cannot hunt Gibbons...
DuckMendenhall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
southpaw
Most Interesting Fisherman in the World

southpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Pirate
The WMA's along the Yegua used to be money but all those dried up. From what I was told the aluminum plant in Dime Box moved their waterlines which caused the Yegua to dry up in those areas. When I was still in school I used to hunt in Hearne, Kurten all the way up to Normangee. Make friends with people who have land close that have farm tanks. You'd be surprised at how many ducks you can shoot hunting tanks. Use small spreads and get a mojo. Call mostly using your whistles and use your mallard calls sparingly. For some reason all of the ducks I've shot hunting farm tanks are all very mature ducks and can be tough to decoy. But you'll be surprised, I even shot some geese in Kurten a few times. Don't be afraid to contact land owners, most will think you're crazy to want to try and shoot ducks on there land, but will be surprised when you do. There's a lot of friendly people in that area and as long as you're respectful, most won't have a problem. I've also heard the Navasota river bottom can be lights out so you may want to look into that
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #9
codymalin92
Registered Users-pm+

codymalin92 is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
So I take it that locating stock ponds are my best bet?
codymalin92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #10
southpaw
Most Interesting Fisherman in the World

southpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Piratesouthpaw has been promoted to Pirate
Yep, unless you want to pay for a guide around there. You could get a public hunting permit, but I'm more than willing to bet that most of those spots are dried up by now.
southpaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message