Outboard size for a 14 ft jon boat - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 10-10-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered Users-pm+

cgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Pirate
Outboard size for a 14 ft jon boat

I have an older riveted jon boat 14x36. The plate says 25hp max. I got this boat from my uncle who used to run a 30hp 2 stroke on the back and loved the way it made the boat move. The boat has a front deck that probably adds 40-50lbs. Well that motor is toast and I am looking to repower.

I was thinking to put a 25hp on the back of it. I plan to use this in the back bays, inland lakes, occassional duck hole etc. If duck hunting, I may run 3 people max in it with gear and would like the boat to at least get on plane. In the back lacks, it'll be 2 ppl max to fish out of. I called many dealerships and I am being told that the new 4 stroke 25hps are too heavy for the boat.

Should I look for a used 2 stroke or will a 20hp 4 stroke be plenty to get on plane with 2-3 people plus gear?

Thanks guys.
cg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2011, 10:01 PM
WHO DAT!!!!!!!!!!

coachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Piratecoachlaw has been promoted to Pirate
First of all, no way do I recommend more than 2 grown people and gear in a 14-36. That's a narrow boat and very unstable. If it's rated for 25, that's what it should hold, but you'd probably be safer and can get by with a 15, or maybe even a 9.9. Forget 4 strokes. Way too much weight for a 14-36 IMO. I had a 14-42 with an 8 horse that even got my fat butt on plane and got me where I wanted to go.
If you want to live dangerously and put 3 people in that boat, you'll need a 25 to get up on plane. Do I recommend that? Heck no.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered Users-pm+

gregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirategregr1971 has been promoted to Pirate
25 or 30 2cycle.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:44 PM
POC chunker

Pocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Get an older 2 cycle, they're a lot lighter. On OMC's the 25 and 35hp motors were the same size and weight, just different displacement and carbs. 9 and 15hp were the next size smaller.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Fishing from a paddle boat...

Jerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to PirateJerry-rigged has been promoted to Pirate
If it is older and rivited, it probably leaks. IF you are looking to drop the $$$ on a new 4-stroke, you may also look at getting a new 14-48.

I had a 12x36 for many years. Those 36" wide hulls are VERY tender and have a very low displacement. I fished 2 out of mine a lot but with three it was not possable to plane - the bow wave came over the front before the boat could get up (oops... )(14' may not have this issue )

A few years ago, I had a 14x48 with a 20hp merc 2-stroke. I bought it used with full ply decking, trolling motors, extended front deck, carpet(deck, seats, sides), the whole 9 yards. It was very heavy for a 14' john boat, but that 20 hp still pushed it great. With myself and my son, the boat ran right at 30mph, add another adult, and it ran mid-high 20's. The 48" beam makes it very stable, no issues moving around, like you would in the 36" hull.
Old 10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Registered Users-pm+

cgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Piratecgerace19 has been promoted to Pirate
I believe I found a 25hp 2 stroke that I am thinking about going forward with. I realize that the motor may be extremely fast for one person and a light load, but I want to make sure that 2 people, ice chest and gear is not too heavy for it. I do not plan to run WOT.

Yep, a few rivets leak. The boat is currently getting patched up and all welds fixed. If I see one day that the boat is a tad too small, I will always upgrade and keep my motor.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.

cg
Old 10-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Bayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to PirateBayou RedFish has been promoted to Pirate
If this flatbottom is like the one im thinking of just a couple of thoughts for ya.
25 might be a bit to much for that boat, If when running it tends to sway left and right when running that can be dangerous(been there and done it)
Is this your first flatbottom?
If so be carefull with turns(sharp) the boat will skim and slid,There is a word for what im tring to explain but it eludes me right now.
The motor looses traction and slids then grabs and is very capable of throwing you out!.A few years back we was fishing on the san jac and my brother decided to see how mine ran while I was backing the trailer.Well long story short the DA ended up in the water because he was making a sharp turn and spun out then grabed and tossed him in the water.
Last thing please ALWAYS use the kill switch,He didnt( my brother) and I almost lost him that day if it wasnt for a brave young man,Who took off from the dock and and got to him before he went under.Ya see it was in Febuary and water temp was in the 50's.Plus you can guess what else happened,motor still running and boat running in circles!.We got the boat stopped and him to the bank but it could have been worst.
If you know this then sorry for posting just tring to avoid what we went through,Ya see my brother has fished and ran boat,s for 35 years and is one of the most experienced fishermen I know,But it almost cost him .
good luck with your new boat and be safe ...............BRF
Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayou RedFish View Post
If this flatbottom is like the one im thinking of just a couple of thoughts for ya.
25 might be a bit to much for that boat, If when running it tends to sway left and right when running that can be dangerous(been there and done it)
Is this your first flatbottom?
If so be carefull with turns(sharp) the boat will skim and slid,There is a word for what im tring to explain but it eludes me right now.
The motor looses traction and slids then grabs and is very capable of throwing you out!.A few years back we was fishing on the san jac and my brother decided to see how mine ran while I was backing the trailer.Well long story short the DA ended up in the water because he was making a sharp turn and spun out then grabed and tossed him in the water.
Last thing please ALWAYS use the kill switch,He didnt( my brother) and I almost lost him that day if it wasnt for a brave young man,Who took off from the dock and and got to him before he went under.Ya see it was in Febuary and water temp was in the 50's.Plus you can guess what else happened,motor still running and boat running in circles!.We got the boat stopped and him to the bank but it could have been worst.
If you know this then sorry for posting just tring to avoid what we went through,Ya see my brother has fished and ran boat,s for 35 years and is one of the most experienced fishermen I know,But it almost cost him .
good luck with your new boat and be safe ...............BRF

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely keep all of this in mind.

I grew up fishing out of a flat bottom boat, 16' with a 70hp on the back. With a father that gets furious at the drop of a hat, well I def learned to back off the throttle, especially when turning.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered Users-pm+

unclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirateunclefes has been promoted to Pirate
the word you are looking for is SHEAR..it happens to flat botton square bow boats when turning sharp at speed. pretty scary just be careful when turning especially in choppy water.
Old 10-12-2011, 02:57 PM
Better use wire.

REELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4

I had a 17' Lowe Line Flats boat a while back. It came with a 50HP Johnson. I could get that boat up to 35 without putting the engine in the red. Tight sharp port or starboard turns it would shear bad. As if you were fish tailing a car. Then it's ease off the throttle not just drop it down quick and throw souls into the drink. The max for your situation is 25HP..as it states on the tag. 14' would be fine with a 15HP as well. Just..if you put a 25HP on the transom. Take all your turns with care.
I bet it will fly though.