Stingrays in surf? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 08-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Banned

ToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to PirateToddB42 has been promoted to Pirate
Stingrays in surf?

With all the great reports from the surf, a couple of buddies have decided to go this weekend.
Do we have to worry about stingrays in the surf?
Old 08-25-2011, 10:08 AM
Wishin for Fishin

ksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunnerksjpm02 has been promote to Gunner
Yes. I've caught a many stingrays on the beach side of the first gut. Be careful and have fun.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:12 AM
...he's your Huckleberry

CaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to PirateCaptDocHoliday has been promoted to Pirate
I was stung as a kid once. In the surf, in <4" of water on the beach side of the first gut.

Wading the surf, I have seen some larger rays this year (>3'). I always wear my ray guards.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered Users-pm+

JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)JimmyS has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Flag

Todd,
YEP there are some there. I have waded the surf most of my life and never encountered a ray. But have caught a few. Most of the ones you see caught are caught using bait on bottom.
I don't wear my ray guards in the surf but do in the aby.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Who Moved My Cheese

vinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Piratevinsp has been promoted to Pirate
I have tried wearing guards and shoes in the surf and have never been able to get used to them. I have bumped up against plenty of stingrays and as of yet not been hit. I like to be able to feel what is down there move slow and shuffle my feet. When a big wave takes me off my feet I try and land softly.
Be safe and take what ever precautions you feel comfortable with. Ray guards are a good idea.
Scott
Old 08-25-2011, 10:19 AM
Registered Users-pm+

perchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirateperchjerk has been promoted to Pirate
A couple weeks ago i had a couple rays jump completely out of the water about 5yds in front of me. Small ones though. I thought it was really cool till a few minutes later i see movement in the water to my right, only to see a school of rays just cruisin all around me. Not so cool anymore...
Old 08-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Redfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to PirateRedfishr has been promoted to Pirate
Its the Gulf OF Mexico.......
Old 08-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Stumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to PirateStumpgrinder has been promoted to Pirate
I've seen rays the size of a small car hood come out of the surf while fishing for bull reds.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Googan

Rippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to PirateRippin_drag has been promoted to Pirate
I was told by an old salt that when its flat and calm they are more likely going to be laying on the bottom and be dormant like they do in the bays. When there is a little chop or even really small swells they are more likely going to be swimming in the bottom part of water column rather than just lying around. True or not, still shuffle.
Old 08-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Registered Users-pm+

TroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to PirateTroutOut has been promoted to Pirate
Anybody ever been stung by one of those cownosed rays? Last year at Fort Myers Beach Florida we were wading in the surf and they were all around us, going every which way.