Pontoon Shapes?! - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 04-09-2011, 11:18 PM
Registered Users-pm+

reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)reel blue447 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
Pontoon Shapes?!

I have seriously been considering a pontoon boat to get down the ICW to the land cut and across the Baffin Bay and started noticing various shapes of Pontoons on the different Pontoon boats. Some were completely round while others were more U shaped so to speak. Does anyone know the difference between thr shapes besides the obvious. Does one take a bay chop better than the other and if so which one should I get for my use in the bay and channel of the ICW.

Thanks for your input and tight lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 PM

paragod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirate
The u shaped ones will ride higher as u increase the weight displace less water the round ones will displace more water so it will sit lower in the water as u put more weight onboard
281-802-9151
Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 PM

paragod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirateparagod has been promoted to Pirate
and im picking up a tritoon in the morning with a Merc will let u know how it is when i get it to the shop
281-802-9151
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Registered Users-pm+

longboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Piratelongboat has been promoted to Pirate
Used to see hexagon-shaped pontoons - seems like everyone has gone back to round pontoons or U-shaped now. I'd prefer flat-bottom pontoons similar to the hexagon ones - they would get you on plane with a lot less power. I suppose mfrs. went back to round ones because they are cheaper, and if $$ is not an issue they can sell you a bigger motor to make up for lack of performance.

The custom aluminum guys will build pontoon boats with flat-bottom tubes. I think Clark Boats up in Bellevue, IA will build pontoons with rectangular tubes up to 42 inches wide. If I were in the market for a pontoon boat that I planned to keep for a while, I'd check into something like that.

The U-shaped pontoons do have more reserve buoyancy than the round ones. However, buy your boat based on quality, not shape of pontoons, as I've heard some of the boats with the U-shapes did have some flexing/noise issues.

I also think pontoon tubes should be tapered in the back, like a canoe. Since most of your time is spent putt-putting around, tapered tubes would be a lot more efficient. Put planing strakes on them to regain any planing forces lost.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Not Confirmed

Salt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to PirateSalt&Sol has been promoted to Pirate
South Bay Pontoons

check out South Bay Pontoons, they make Salt water Center console, pretty awesome actually. goto the website and look at the video, it shows most of the boats, but about 2/3 the way through you will see the Center Console, dont know why they dont have a picture of it anywhere but on the video.. They also go fast unlike the old ones
Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Bottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to PirateBottom Finder has been promoted to Pirate
U-Shaped pontoons are not as strong a round tubular ones are and tend to "oil can" over the years.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:24 PM
Registered Users-pm+

pmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Piratepmgoffjr has been promoted to Pirate
I've sold a fleet of 'toons, here's a humble opinion on what does and doesn't work.

Air filled pontoons are far superior to foam filled.
Tri toons are well worth the difference in every aspect of performance.
The aluminum floors are much preferred.
Any performance enhancement is a good thing, the wings, planing boards, etc all work to help move the barge around.
They all suck getting on a trailer.
They all turn into empty chip sacks in the wind.
Pontoon designed props are the deal.
Don't ever take one in 3' seas. They become deep diving crankbaits.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:48 PM

wadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Piratewadefish1 has been promoted to Pirate
Foam

In my limited experience some of the U shape logs were filled with foam instead of having 3 or 4 sealed sections like the round ones which did make the U shapes actually sit deeper in the water then the round. A quality pontoon will have 25" round logs rather than the 23"-24" logs on a lesser quality boat. The 25"'rs negate any flotation advantage the U shapes had if they were air filled. Because of the attachment from the U shape to the structure of the deck the U shapes do tend to "oil can" after some use.