How to grow 100lb. of potatoes in 4 sq. ft of space - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Home Gardening Forum

Old 01-26-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
Tate
Right-Wing Conspirator

Tate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to Pirate
How to grow 100lb. of potatoes in 4 sq. ft of space

I have limited space in my suburban raised bed garden. I am currently around 600 square feet and planning on adding another 100 - 150. I was thinking the other day I wish I had some additional space for potatoes. I saw this.

http://www.irisheyesgardenseeds.com/growers1.php

Has anyone tried this? Is is too late to start potatoes now? What types do you grow? If I don't get this built in time this year. I will try it in the Fall or next year.

Tate
Tate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
w_r_ranch
Got Better Things To Do Than Play Games

w_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Pirate
Not too late at all, in fact we are almost to prime potato time. We plant ours between Feb. 21st - 27th. although we plant ours in the ground.

If you want to try growing them in a 'container': Jumbo-Potato-Grow-Bag At least these would drain properly...

As far as that links claims go, I personally don't believe it at all. Potatoes are formed in the top 9 - 12 inches, so there is absolutely no reason to have 24 - 30 inches of soil. I call BS on this sites claims...
w_r_ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Meadowlark
Registered Users-PM plus

Meadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to PirateMeadowlark has been promoted to Pirate
Double BS call. I'm with W_R_
...but maybe Tate will prove us wrong.

Planting time in my area is NOW until about Feb. 14. The feed stores have the seed potatoe now. We like the red taters and usually grow enough to last year around. Potatoes are one of the easiest veggies to grow....we normally have zero problems growing them.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #4
Hooked
Registered Users-pm+

Hooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to PirateHooked has been promoted to Pirate
Oh boy.............I could spend a couple hours compiling a description of growing potatoes in those upright containers.......lol
I'll keep it short though and just say don't use those huge truck tires cuz they're expensive to get rid of.......after you discover you don't have any taters.
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #5
Tate
Right-Wing Conspirator

Tate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to PirateTate has been promoted to Pirate
Thanks for the feedback guys. I doubt I will be trying it - at least this year anyway. I got too many projects going on. I might try some in some mollasses tubs though. Those potato bags look good, but kind of pricey for maybe 2 years of use.
Old 01-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
w_r_ranch
Got Better Things To Do Than Play Games

w_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Piratew_r_ranch has been promoted to Pirate
Tate, my take on growing potatoes 'above ground' is to not waste your efforts. It's too warm here and potatoes like it cool. Bear in mind that molasses buckets are usually black so if they get any sun, the soil will be even hotter. Plus being plastic, they don't 'breathe' or drain well. Worst case scenario is the potatoes will rot... best case is they will be steamed & ready to be eaten right out of the ground.

I do use molasses buckets for peppers & fall tomatoes because they like it warm/moist. I should note that they are kept on the north side of the house to limit their exposure to full sun.

Just my 2 cents... Good luck!!!

Last edited by w_r_ranch; 01-29-2011 at 11:07 AM.
w_r_ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #7
Tate
Right-Wing Conspirator

Thanks Ranch! I got some old tubs that were originally red, but bleached out white now by the sun. I drilled a bunch of holes in the bottoms so they drain okay. If I do try some this year I will try a small sample to see how it goes. I am adding 100 - 150 square feet to my garden so maybe I will still have some extra room too.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
Blue.dog
Registered Users-pm+

Blue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to PirateBlue.dog has been promoted to Pirate
Potatoes in Buckets

I never thought about trying red potatoes in these buckets.
I have a total of 15 and have had a lot of luck with tomatoes.
The buckets have holes drilled into them for drainage and I have a water system for each bucket that runs off a timer. They drain very good.
Won't hurt to try a few. Now, I just need to get my seed potatoes.
B.D
Attached Images

Blue.dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #9
V-Bottom
Certified WeighMaster,since 1999

V-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to Pirate
Plant potatoes in March if its NOT TO WET TO PLOW!!
V-Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
V-Bottom
Certified WeighMaster,since 1999

V-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to PirateV-Bottom has been promoted to Pirate
Cut potatoes up for the SEEDS.......plant in March
V-Bottom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message