How far can hogs smell? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #1
norm9
Registered Users-pm+

norm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbienorm9 has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
How far can hogs smell?

There's two guys on my lease that are close by the area where my blind is and they have hogs coming to their area pretty regularly. In a little over 3 months since I've had my game cam out there I don't have one picture of any hogs nor have I seen any in 12 hunts. Most people are probably thinking, so what's the problem? I only have a doe left that I can shoot so I've been trying to get some hogs to show up. Everyone is complaining about the hogs and wanting people to put more of them down but I just don't see them and I know they're within at least a 1/2 mile area around me. I put out some sour corn a month ago and nothing touched it for weeks. I doubt any of that commercial pig stuff is going to work. How far could they really smell that stuff anyway? I'm thinking about just slinging corn around further away from my feeder and maybe they'll find it and work their way back to the source. Any ideas?
norm9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #2
Ninjazx9rrida
Registered Users-pm+

Ninjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to PirateNinjazx9rrida has been promoted to Pirate
Im not sure how far they can smell, but i know they like the smell of strawberry jello! i had a hog or two on cam for like a month. opening weekend i poured some corn in a pile and covered it with 2 packs of strawberry jello and i had about 20 pigs there on cam within 3 hours. they returned every night for over a week!

last weekend i poured some corn out with cmerdeer in one pile and some pink hog liquid stuff from academy and sure enough they hung out for 4 hours that night eating all my goodies.
Ninjazx9rrida is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Too Tall

Too Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to Pirate
you need a hog magnet.
Attached Images

Too Tall is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
snappy3923
Registered Users-pm+

snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)snappy3923 has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
What is that thing?
snappy3923 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM   #5
SpeckReds
Registered Users-pm+

SpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to PirateSpeckReds has been promoted to Pirate
I like that. Great Idea. Good way to get them to hang around. May have to put one of those out.
We shot or trapped 4 hogs last weekend.
SpeckReds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
firemitch2
Registered Users-pm+

firemitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateerfiremitch2 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
How do you secure the chain to the drum?
firemitch2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 07:05 PM   #7
Too Tall

Too Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to PirateToo Tall has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy3923 View Post
What is that thing?
A hog magnet.

They play with it until it runs out of corn. Barrel has holes in the side, 4 rows one can be seen, just a bit bigger than a kernal of corn. You pour a bag of corn in and lay it on its side. Its chained to the stake and they push it around in circles. Great fun to watch them in action. Irresistible to a hog.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:07 PM   #8
Too Tall

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemitch2 View Post
How do you secure the chain to the drum?
see the flat plate on the bottom of the barrel? There is another on top with a rod welded between them. neither plate is attached to the barrel so the barrel will roll and not twist the chain. The chain is attached to the top plate with a heavy duty D-ring.

A friend of mine made a few for the ranch of varying design. The one I like best has a rod welded to the ring on the stake that is longer than the chain. The chain in the picture gets wound up on the stake sometimes but with the rod that doesn't happen.

Last edited by Too Tall; 12-03-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #9
firebase
The Great Howard Heinzl

firebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Piratefirebase has been promoted to Pirate
I thought there might have been a dog in that barrel.
firebase is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #10
great white fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

great white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Hogs like water and it might be possible that your friends are closer to a pond or creek. There are places on our lease that get all the hogs and other places that get none. Yes they can smell better than a deer but have poor eye site. Ask your friends if you can hunt there blind for a pig.
great white fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message