stingray meat? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Old 11-22-2010, 01:29 AM   #1
Bustin Chops
Registered Users-pm+

Bustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to PirateBustin Chops has been promoted to Pirate
stingray meat?

Someone on here just posted about wanting stingrays. I have caught many stingrays as most of us have. I have heard of people eating them but dont know of anyone who does. So would someone who knows what to do with one after you catch it, please tell me how to clean it and how it can be cooked? I might want to try something different. Is it good meat or mushy? Taste like fish or chicken?
Bustin Chops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #2
kelly thomas
Registered Users-pm+

kelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Piratekelly thomas has been promoted to Pirate
http://www.corpusfishing.com/ray.htm
kelly thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #3
Trouthappy
Trouthappy

Trouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to PirateTrouthappy has been promoted to Pirate
We racked up a bunch of stingrays with bows on Tampa Bay, and the guide cleaned them. He cuts off the wings, throws the rest away. It's easier to cut through the wings with sand underneath, or grass, than a fish-cleaning table. The cleaning table in the photo here is metal, but he made the first cut just to for the camera. He gave us some wings to cook, but they sat in my fridge for a week, we just couldn't cook them. Found a bunch of recipes online, but didn't try it. People eat stingray all over the world, apparently. I wrote a story about it and it will supposedly be in the January Florida Sportsman magazine.
Attached Images

Trouthappy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #4
matagorda_castaway
Team Solid Action

matagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Riggermatagorda_castaway has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
we caught some in rockport one time and decided to try and cook em....first off, its friggin ridiculous slaughtering those things-- they bleed more than anything else in the sea i think! second, we tried "fileting" the wings, but theres a membrane or cartlidge or something between a top and bottom layer and its super hard to get the meat off.
matagorda_castaway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
FireEater
At the gym

FireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to PirateFireEater has been promoted to Pirate
When I do fish fries, everyone loves stingray and the meat feeds so many.

I take out the shoulders as that is where I have found the largest section of whole meat to be. I just fillet them out on both sides.

There is a tool and you can also make one out of a piece of stainless pipe that you use to make scallops from the wings.

HERE is an example of filleting the shoulders.

THIS LINK shows some of the meat that looks like string cheese. Though most of the shoulder meat is solid meat, the string meat is on the upper and outer part of the Ray.

There are several ways to clean them and lot's of videos on YouTube. I usually only keep the ones 3 to 4 foot across to eat, but it looks as though lot's are keeping smaller ones to eat.

One we took last year at the end of the Jetties.

Last edited by FireEater; 11-22-2010 at 09:16 AM.
FireEater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
we used to scrape the skin with a knife top and bottom on the little dinner plate sized ones and then cut the wings off parallel to body, season and flour and fry and eat whole wings
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
aggiemulletboy
In the snake den

aggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirateaggiemulletboy has been promoted to Pirate
I love eating rays. Save a few for shark bait, the others go into the pan. The rays that are round taste better than the others that are more angular such as cownose, IMO.
aggiemulletboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 11:01 AM   #8
JohnAkaB
fishing = life

JohnAkaB has disabled reputation
Am I the only one looking at the wife in the first picture?
JohnAkaB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM   #9
TxAdam

TxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to PirateTxAdam has been promoted to Pirate
Had a customer in here the other day talking about using ray wings as scallops. Had a punch that would cut those wings right out and look just like a scallop...said you could serve them to a crowd and no one would know the difference. I'm gonna have to try this sometime.
TxAdam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2010, 11:14 AM   #10
bud1971
Registered Users-pm+

bud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Piratebud1971 has been promoted to Pirate
What I have been doing lately and I have gotten fairly quick is this....

First rinse really good...they are SLIMY. I cut the wings off following the contour of the body. Next, I cut the outside edge off where it is too thin to eat.

Now you have to filet the skin off both sides. Also, they tend to be easier to filet if they are cold. Start at the thick portion and work your way towards the thinner end. When you have gotten approximately half way, put one hand over the meat that is exposed (to keep the skin from pulling it away) and you will be able to just pull the rest of the skin off.

As far as the cartilage in the middle, don't worry about it...it gets soft when you fry it. Cut it into bite size pieces. To cook, we coat with mustard, then cornmeal or fish fry product of your choice and fry. REALLY good stuff IMO.

Edit: I have also figured out a pretty safe way to get them in the boat and get the barb off. We net them, cut the line, stand back and put them in the cooler...the tail will usually be sticking out. Shut cooler somewhat, grab tail with pliers and pull out till you see barb and cut tail off.

Last edited by bud1971; 11-22-2010 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Add info
bud1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message