19ft Hewes Redfisher - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 08-23-2005, 07:29 PM   #1
sdavis
Registered Users-pm+

sdavis is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
drum 19ft Hewes Redfisher

I just purchased a 19ft Hewes redfisher and I wanted to know what, if any opinions anybody had. I like the boat alot because I can run at about 55-60 mph, it is a very dry boat, it handles rough chop well, and it will run shallow. It doesn't have a jackplate and I wanted to know if installing one would help me run in shallower water. Probably the only thing I dont like about it is that it is very difficult to drive standing up. It doesn't have a leaning post and I was wondering if anyone has ever had any experience with installing one or modifying the drivers seat. Other than that I love it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Trim er high and let er fly
sdavis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
TooShallow
Registered Users-pm+

TooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to PirateTooShallow has been promoted to Pirate
As long as the boat will get up shallow and run without porposing or cavitating then you probably don't need the jack plate. If you can get the performance you want by adjusting the trim then leave it alone. Just my opinion.
TooShallow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-19-2005, 06:48 PM   #3
LWG
Registered Users-pm+

LWG is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)LWG is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)LWG is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)LWG is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)LWG is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)LWG is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Sdavis,
I had a 18' hewes that for general performance I enjoyed. Had a 150 hp on it, would run plenty fast and relatively shallow despite a 12" draft at rest. Were it not for the jackplate and low water pickup I don't think it would have ran as shallow. With that in mind I think it would beneficial to add the jackplate but I wouldn't do it without a water pressure gauge. I guess it all depends on ones definition of shallow.
LWG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message