Port Mansfield State Water Snapper - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 07-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Registered Users-pm+

FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)FishNFam has been promoted to Gunners first mate (soon to be full share Gunner)
snapper Port Mansfield State Water Snapper

Have a question about fishing snapper in state waters. When I was a kid growing up, legend had it that one could only catch snaps in state water in the winter--any summer fish would be small. That was plenty of years ago and may have been wrong then, though. Had about a 20 year hiatus in the meantime.

Anyway, our family started offshore fishing this year, kids old enough to now hold themselves in the boat when they werf, so off we went, about 17 miles out of Pt Mansfield to the liberty ship reef.

And WILDLY exceeded even our best expectations. Caught bigger snaps than I ever did as a kid. By ya'lls standards probably not great, but limited out every trip, most 8-11 pounds & had plenty of others tear up our tackle. Plenty to almost lose a few rods and a kid or two over the side.

So, anyway, now our family is hooked, and the season is over in federal waters. I know there are plenty of places around Mansfield in state waters, up north. Have Rik's book & other numbers for rocks & reefs in state waters, and there is that new reef southeast. Are there snaps there now in any size? Worth the run now, or do we need to wait until winter? Still plenty of specks & reds in the bays to keep us happy, but if its calm enough we'd like to continue giving it a whirl for the snapper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Better use wire.

REELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to PirateREELING 65 has been promoted to Pirate
snapper

Man..I'm driving down that way and launching. Shoot...I would be happy with that. Inside of nine nautical mile's is the range... State waters. You just have to keep checking the regulations. For as we all know,they are subject to change. Good read..I enjoyed it.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Rsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to PirateRsnap has been promoted to Pirate
snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNFam View Post
Have a question about fishing snapper in state waters. When I was a kid growing up, legend had it that one could only catch snaps in state water in the winter--any summer fish would be small. That was plenty of years ago and may have been wrong then, though. Had about a 20 year hiatus in the meantime.

Anyway, our family started offshore fishing this year, kids old enough to now hold themselves in the boat when they werf, so off we went, about 17 miles out of Pt Mansfield to the liberty ship reef.

And WILDLY exceeded even our best expectations. Caught bigger snaps than I ever did as a kid. By ya'lls standards probably not great, but limited out every trip, most 8-11 pounds & had plenty of others tear up our tackle. Plenty to almost lose a few rods and a kid or two over the side.

So, anyway, now our family is hooked, and the season is over in federal waters. I know there are plenty of places around Mansfield in state waters, up north. Have Rik's book & other numbers for rocks & reefs in state waters, and there is that new reef southeast. Are there snaps there now in any size? Worth the run now, or do we need to wait until winter? Still plenty of specks & reds in the bays to keep us happy, but if its calm enough we'd like to continue giving it a whirl for the snapper.
There are plenty of "Staters" right now and all year offshore Mansfield!
Unlike the upper coast most of the fisherman there do not talk and do not post. For years I found it tough to get good feedback from guys I gave "Killer" readings to. Last year I fished there and SPI myself again and was personally shocked at just how good the fishing reilly is. There are guys on the board right now and all the time that never "brag" on some of the very best fishing in Texas. On top of everything else this area is "Targer rich"! I found almost 80 new spots in a one week streek last year! So just remember when you are in the "North Rocks" area of any other rocky area there there are many more readings in that area not listed. I can not say this any stronger! Make sure you take more bait than you need and be raedy to chum. Lots of Mangrove Snaps and Grouper ect! I am going there again this year and can not wait.
Rik

P.S. Boats with limited range on the upper coast - this is your fix!
Guys that want more Snaps after the fed. season - this is your fix!
More Grouper and A.J`s ect. in much closer!
Tuna and Wahoo in much closer!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Swells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to Pirate
Shhhhh ... we don't want a thousand boats off that little old fishing village, do we? Oh well, the cat's outta the bag now!

Note that not all trips are big producers, like any fishing. Sometimes the current rips and there's no bait ... other times it's almost embarrassing fast, like limiting out on snaps in 20 minutes. My strategy is to target other big species and keep whatever snapper by-catch comes to the top and is legal.

Us locals know the north rocks as "Steamers," and old fish haven up there. Be careful and use your GPS, as many rocky locations are close to or over the 9-mile state line. -sammie
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered Users-pm+

awesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirateawesum has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swells View Post
Shhhhh ... . Be careful and use your GPS, as many rocky locations are close to or over the 9-mile state line. -sammie

So ?

heh heh j/k

Old 07-28-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered Users-pm+

going_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateergoing_east has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Fishnfarm I forgot the captian's name (might of been tom)from fishon fishing charters in Mansfield spent a summer with him back in either 02 or 03 cant remember the exact year anyhow that guy can put on spots where you can see the sand in the horizon, last time i saw his boat he had docked in PI however that was a few years back so he might be back there dont know,
Old 07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi

Unbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnap View Post
There are plenty of "Staters" right now and all year offshore Mansfield!
Unlike the upper coast most of the fisherman there do not talk and do not post. For years I found it tough to get good feedback from guys I gave "Killer" readings to. Last year I fished there and SPI myself again and was personally shocked at just how good the fishing reilly is. There are guys on the board right now and all the time that never "brag" on some of the very best fishing in Texas. On top of everything else this area is "Targer rich"! I found almost 80 new spots in a one week streek last year! So just remember when you are in the "North Rocks" area of any other rocky area there there are many more readings in that area not listed. I can not say this any stronger! Make sure you take more bait than you need and be raedy to chum. Lots of Mangrove Snaps and Grouper ect! I am going there again this year and can not wait.
Rik

P.S. Boats with limited range on the upper coast - this is your fix!
Guys that want more Snaps after the fed. season - this is your fix!
More Grouper and A.J`s ect. in much closer!
Tuna and Wahoo in much closer!
There is no truth to these rumors. There are no fish, the beer is warm, and the women are ugly. Go elsewhere!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Member At Large

Bill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to PirateBill Fisher has been promoted to Pirate
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbound View Post
There is no truth to these rumors. There are no fish, the beer is warm, and the women are ugly. Go elsewhere!
x2
Old 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Registered Users-pm+

jmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerjmahan has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
State Water Snapper in Port Mansfield

I used to fish quite a bit in in State Water for snapper north of Port Mansfield. I heard recetly from a very reliable source that the head boats out of Port Mansfield hit the State water spots very hard last winter. They pounded it every single day with snowbirds booked solid. The guy who gave me this info has lived in Raymondville and had a place in Port Masfield his entire life (50 plus years). He said fishing for snaps in state water is very tough right now. He knows just about every rock in state water, an old shrimper gave him a book of "snags" that had been compiled from just about every old timer shrimper in the area. Thay were all loran coordinates. He said all the spots are nothing but solid triggerfish. Now, thats not sayin that the fish do not move around and move in from deeper water. He is hoping that the two recent storms will stir them up some and move fish in.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Swells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to Pirate
Whaddya want with an ugly boat and bad bait?

Just kidding ... but Port Mansfield is getting more fished out, simply because it's close in with easy access, is a small series of rocks and Liberty ships, and more people know about that little secret.

I won't reveal my secrets about winter fishing for sows, just keep fishin' them rocks and wrecks, OK? That'll leave plenty for us locals!