Why is my gas stove giving off yellow flame? - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Mantaray
Registered Users-pm+

Mantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to Pirate
Why is my gas stove giving off yellow flame?

It's not normal. All of the 4 burners are giving off yellow too much yellow flame and little blue flame. It seems like gas supply is low. Anybody seen this before? Time to call Entex or Centerpoint?
Mantaray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
bill

bill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Piratebill has been promoted to Pirate
look to see if the holes are clogged, soot or other build up can cause a yellow flame

bill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Mantaray
Registered Users-pm+

Mantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to PirateMantaray has been promoted to Pirate
Just called Centerpoint and they said it's my supply line to the stove that doesn't have enough pressure. They said it's dangerous to use the stove and that I should call someone to fix my line. I will probably pull my gas stove out and look but not sure if the line is easy to disconnect & clean.
Mantaray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
dwilliams35
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.

dwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Piratedwilliams35 has been promoted to Pirate
Might want to check your other appliances: their regulators at the meter can go out too, actually goes out a lot more than they'll admit.
dwilliams35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2010, 01:32 PM   #5
BretE
It ain't easy bein me.........

BretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to PirateBretE has been promoted to Pirate
Take a pair of channel locks and beat the hell out of the regulator.........works at the plant!......lol...
BretE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
Puma
Registered Users-pm+

Puma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to PiratePuma has been promoted to Pirate
Call your gas company as request a pressure test. They can put a gauge on it and see if you have the proper operating pressure on it.

Honestly, the answer they gave you is a BS one. Low pressure on the gas line should not cause a yellow flame. Just think, on a normal stove when you turn down the flame it doesn't get yellow. More than likely the problem is the stove needs cleaning.
Puma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Barefoot Boy
Registered Users-pm+

Barefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to PirateBarefoot Boy has been promoted to Pirate
Sounds like it needs more air; either to the room, or there may be a burner adjustment to crack open for more air. If it just started doing this, it is probably the source (meter). Here's a link (it says run, if it turns yellow j/k).

http://www.appliance411.com/faq/gas_range_flames.shtml
Barefoot Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 10:52 AM   #8
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Puma

Turning down the flame on a stove doesent reduce the pressure just the volume of gas. Pressure stays the same. Ii would guess somehow the pressure became too low if it just started for no reason.

Charlie
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
jimk
Wherever you are....BLOOM!

jimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Piratejimk has been promoted to Pirate
I don't know if this is a parallel....but I have an old kerosene stove from WWII that I pump to pressurize. If I'm not getting enough air, the flame is yellow...it has one jet and I generally replace it to get back to a blue flame.
jimk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2010, 11:05 AM   #10
troutslayer
I'll keep my gun...You keep the change

troutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Piratetroutslayer has been promoted to Pirate
Stoves require a certain amount of oxygen to burn clean....there is an opening in your burner that is clogged up and not letting the required amount in....pull the lid off and start cleaning....
Each stove burner's flame color can be adjusted separately. The air shutter adjustment needs to be opened more, which allows more air to mix with the fuel. The shutter is located at the end of the burner tube. Once the shutter is adjusted correctly and all lint or dust is removed, there should be no yellow flames.

Also clean out the air shutter area, clear out up the burner tube and all the burner head holes or ports so flames are present completely around the entire burner. Some burners have ignition holes up one side of the burner head. Usually three or four small holes are used for burner ignition. If these holes are plugged or restricted, burners become slow to ignite or do not ignite. Clean out the holes with a pin but do not enlarge the hole. Enlarging the ignition hole will cause other problems, which cannot be fixed without replacing the entire burner.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/stry/qna...#ixzz0rVJoNkE2
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message