Installing second bilge pump - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 02-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #1
Reel Joy
Registered Users-pm+

Reel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Installing second bilge pump

Most boats only come with one bilge pump installed, like mine did. I have seen where this one bilge pump has failed, were it due to lack of maintenance or bad electrical connection or whatever. Murphy has been known to hide in my back pocket and pop up on occasion.

For those of you that only fish the lakes and bays one bilge pump may suffice. I say this because you are relatively close to a shoreline and can beach your boat until you figure out the problem or call for help.

You may want to increase the gph (gallons per hour) of your current bilge pump though. Have you checked the gph of your current bilge pump and water tested it lately? You know, fill the bilge with water and make sure it actually pumps water. Have you cleaned your bilge, it only takes one screw, leaf or other debris to clog that float switch or pump. How about the hose connections to the fittings? Checked those lately?

If you venture any distance off shore it is a very good idea to add a second bilge pump and test them regularly for the obvious reason of not being able to beach the boat and call for quick help.

I have decided to add a second bilge pump to my boat this winter. I chose an equivalent sized pump as what came on my boat, an 1100 gph pump. Some boaters increase the capacity of the second bilge pump. Make sure your battery(s) can handle the added electrical draw and wonít drain your battery(s) before getting the water out of the boat.

My boat came with a plastic thru hull that will be replaced with a stainless thru hull. The plastic ones seem to be more susceptible to deterioration from the UV rays. I am wiring the second bilge pump directly to the battery without a fuse. I donít want to worry about the fuse blowing and the first bilge pump not working for whatever reason.

I will also be adding a High Water and Bilge Alarm System from waterwitchinc.com. Hope this alarm never goes off. The only alarm I want to hear is the screaming drag alarm with a big fish on the end of it. They also sell bilge switches to be used in place of the float or mercury switches. Maybe next yearís project.

The below pictures are of my install, still in progress, need to get more hose for the second pump. Thought I could use the current hose to the new fitting, but the old plastic fitting was a 90 degree fitting and factory did not leave any extra hose to make the connection to the new fitting. Murphy got me again; at least I am on land.

Parts list to include but not limited to a bilge pump of your choice, favorite sealant, some hand tools, new stainless thru hulls, hole saw, good quality hose clamps, new bilge hose, high water alarm and sensor, new bilge sensor/float switch, tape, camera, band aids, make sure the bilge hose fits the pump and thru hull fitting, adult beverage of your choice for job well done (optional of course, best for last). Last but not leastÖ helpful spouse to assist.

Iím no expert on this and only hope to encourage you to check your bilge pump(s) and have a great fishing season. Sorry for such a long post but felt it was important enough to post for the new boat owners and before the fishing season really gets going.
Attached Images

Reel Joy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2010, 01:31 PM   #2
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
if you are running offshore, you need Rule 2000's
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
snapperlicious
Registered Users-pm+

snapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Piratesnapperlicious has been promoted to Pirate
Agree with the 2000's. i have 5 on my boat 2 for the bilge and 3 for the live well and tuna tubes, but they can be removed and used as a bilge if the mains go out.
snapperlicious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #4
Outearly
Registered Users-pm+

Outearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to PirateOutearly has been promoted to Pirate
Bilge Pumps

That's good-looking work, very neat.

One suggestion: I have a sailboat that had one manual bilge pump that was installed using long bolts that went through the hull and extended far enough to rest against the billows on the pump. Over time with vibration they've worn a hole in the billows.

So, long story, but I'd take a look at at least screwing a plastic cap on those bolts that look like they're very close to your bilge line, make sure they don't rub a hole in the line with all of the engine vibration back there.

Again, very nice work, and an excellent post.
Outearly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
bobber
Registered Users-pm+

bobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Piratebobber has been promoted to Pirate
Wiring a motor with out a fuse, at least an inline would be easy. If motor locks up, wires or motor could cause a fire or at least your wiring to the pump will scorch and fry.
bobber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #6
Reel Joy
Registered Users-pm+

Reel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of GunnerReel Joy has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
Outearly, i will dbl check the hose when i finish the job.

bobber, thanks for the heads up on the fuse.
Reel Joy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 PM   #7
Timemachine
Questions Answered "While You Wait"

Timemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to PirateTimemachine has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapperlicious View Post
Agree with the 2000's. i have 5 on my boat 2 for the bilge and 3 for the live well and tuna tubes, but they can be removed and used as a bilge if the mains go out.
I agree. I have 2 pumps for my bilge area but my baitwell pumps interchange and can be switched out quickly if needed. Separate fuses, switch and wiring for each pump gives added safety.
Timemachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 02:43 PM   #8
Pocketfisherman
POC chunker

Pocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Where's the anti-siphon breaker valve on that hose loop?
Pocketfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message