Need ideas on keeping Owls away. - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 11-16-2009, 04:15 PM   #11
Tiny
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER

Tiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to PirateTiny has been promoted to Pirate
Pigeon Spikes... we use them at the plant.

http://www.deterapigeon.com/
Tiny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2009, 04:24 PM   #12
notthatdeep
Registered Users-pm+

notthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Piratenotthatdeep has been promoted to Pirate
Motion activated security lamps.
notthatdeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 04:25 PM   #13
roundman
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "

roundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirateroundman has been promoted to Pirate
Tally, president of the Oklahoma Game Fowl Breeders Association, said he has used a strobe light at night to keep owls away from his birds. ...
www.tulsaaudubon.org/conservation.htm - Cached - Similar ,,,, You might try making some flashing led lights to help keep the owls away.
Here are some, but they are expensive. http://www.niteguard.com/
I made my own... as well as use the niteguard lights, but still have had owl
trouble.
The best thing you can do is buy a good baby monitor and place the
transmitter
out with your chickens. Then at night when the chickens start squalling you
can get out
there with your shotgun to scare them away. If you catch them in the middle
of a kill
you can stake the dead chicken down and tie 3 traps to the stake and place
them around the chicken... kind of hide the traps with leafs and under the
wing, etc. (make sure you use padded traps so you don't hurt the poor little
owl) then the next morning you can go outside and very gently relocate the
owl.
If he has started visiting and killing your chickens he won't leave on his
own, and the lights won't scare him away. They may scare owls that are new
to the area... but not that old timer.
And for those that don't know, a Great Horned Owl will pull off the chickens
head and swallow it whole. Leaving the rest of the chicken. ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
"Motion Sensor Owl detects and scares away thieves! Its 360 degrees spinning head, glow in the dark eyes and loud "hoot" cause birds and squirrels to flee. Uses 2 AA batteries, not included. See order form for batteries. Plastic owl is 12"H. Sensor Owl; bird away; garden owl; garden owl decoy; garden protector; keep bird away; motion sensor owl; owl decoy; scare bird; scare bird away" http://www.finestsupplies.com/info/motion_sensor_owl

Last edited by roundman; 11-16-2009 at 04:30 PM.
roundman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
Arlon
Registered Users-pm+

Arlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to PirateArlon has been promoted to Pirate
Remeber those singing "big mouth billy bass" things that sold at walmart that where set off my motion, maybe one of those (our some similar toy) would work.

I had a problem with some pigeons roosting on a ledge over my truck in the parking garage. I tried a few things then one day I had a half full water bottle in my hand and set it up on the ledge... That was two years ago and I haven't seen a pigeon since. That water bottle is still there. I think they get spooked by the reflections in the water when they fly up. What ever it is it sure has worked for pigeons.
Arlon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #15
llred
Registered Users-pm+

llred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Piratellred has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
Pigeon Spikes... we use them at the plant.

http://www.deterapigeon.com/

Ive seen those on some buildings downtown they just bend the spikes over and sit in between them.
llred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #16
sea ray
Registered Users-pm+

sea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Piratesea ray has been promoted to Pirate
call your county agent and let them recomend the proper dept of govt. to call. they have devices to lend you to run them off because the owls are probally federally protected . they will help you so you dont harm them.
sea ray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #17
Tankfxr
Registered Users-pm+

Tankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to PirateTankfxr has been promoted to Pirate
I know you mentioned that you place was too big to do what was suggested but what if you could just do the netting or something only on the places where you park your truck etc...maybe hang a tarp or something like that.
Tankfxr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #18
rio frio
Highball !!!!

rio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Piraterio frio has been promoted to Pirate
My barn comes complete with a wild house cat that I only feed while I'm there....Haven't seen a mouse in over a year...just a suggestion...rio
rio frio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 08:29 AM   #19
Little-bit
Is it really Monday again?

Little-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to PirateLittle-bit has been promoted to Pirate
I don't mind the owls in the area and I like the fact that they work great for rodent control. I just want them to perch somewhere other than my barn.
You guys have giving me some great ideas and I appreciate them. After summarizing all of the information giving I have came up with an idea. I will purchase a motion activate switch that will turn on a strobe light. I found a great plug-in type strobe light for about six bucks and a motion switch for about twelve. I already have electrical outlets there for the florescent lighting. I don't think the owls will like the very bright flashing light.

Thanks again for all the ideas.
Little-bit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #20
Blue Water Breaux
Paddle solo, sleep tandem

Blue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to PirateBlue Water Breaux has been promoted to Pirate
pigeon spikes work great...ive used them on poachers, vultures hanging out in the big oaks that liked to take dumps on our cleaning station etc. Im sure it'll only take an owl once to fly up to the perch and impale its head once...then again, we live in a world of monkey see, mokey doooo
Blue Water Breaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message