Port Mansfield kicked my ArSe... - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #1
Fresh2Salt
Time to make the Donuts...

Fresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to Pirate
Port Mansfield kicked my ArSe...

on day one...

Didn't get a wade in Friday afternoon as I hoped. Just too windy and a couple of guys had been on the water all afternoon with very little to show for it.

All I can say is WOW! This fishery was different than anything I've experienced before. I'm used to fishing Aransas Pass/Rockport area and for us it's all about structure.

That majority of spots we fished this weekend were just a huge open flats area that was calf deep gin clear water. No "structure" in sight. I was told to find bait and fish it hard. Not so easy when the sun isn't out and the wind is blowing so hard that there are white caps.

As anticipated the winds were blowing hard and were in the upper teens right off the boat. I hit the water and started fan casting just trying to cover ground. 15minutes into my wade I hear the captain yelling at me and pointing into the wind. "Sh@!" I think to myself and gear up for a grind. I get the weights set on my bait caster and I'm off...

Over all it was a tough first day as I had trouble getting acclimated to fishing the strong winds while using lures. Still ended up boxing a couple of trout, 16" & 18" and caught a ton of rat reds.

Licked my wounds over a good home cooked meal and some Irish Whisky. Sunday was forecasted to be another bad wind day so at least I knew what to expect.

Day two we started in the same spot in a big open flat and I was ready with a game plan. Not that it mattered other than it gave me a goal to achieve. Off the boat and "once more into the fray". I immediately head into the wind as I wanted to get some distance and then turn my back for a long wade with the wind at my back.

45min into my wade and I've only gotten a few bumps but no takers and BAM!!! I get hammered and the fish immediately goes airborne. Arrrrghhh!!! It's a **** Skipjack. I'm instantly annoyed as these things always tear off your bait and are a pain to get calm enough to get the hook out. Then I remind myself that Skipjacks mean bait...bait means other predatory fish. So I start working the area and...thump...I set the hook and it's a heavy fish that starts peeling drag right away. The surface breaks and I see yellow...Oh yeah, it's a big trout. So I back off the drag, play her out and get my hands on this big girl. 26" and very fat...it's the biggest trout I've caught in a while. I continued to hit the area and got nailed by a few more Skipjacks and a flounder. Freakin' flounder are hard to handle while wading and I lost it while trying string it up. There went my chance for a slam...

The bite slowed down again so I turned my back to the wind and started fishing. I set my eyes on a spoil island off in the distance as one of the guys mentioned seeing some reds the day before. By now the sun was burning off the clouds and you could see groups of bait which gave me an actual target. The next hour was a rat red fest with an occasional trout mixed in.

Around 10:00am the clouds were gone and the flats came alive for me. I stated to be able to pick out some reds cruising the flats. They were everywhere. The wind continued to be a challenge at times putting too much slack in the line and not allowing me to pin point cast. I managed to land two reds before our slotted time ran out and it was time to leave. Man it was hard to leave them biting.

Overall it was a huge learning experience and I was happy just to catch fish let alone put some on the stringer. I'm currently waiting for a text with the pic so I can post the day's tally. I only hope I get a chance to fish this area when the winds are lighter. Not sure if it matters but I fished with a Bone Diamond Assassin the whole weekend. The 5" Assassin into the wind and the 4" Sea Shad with the wind at my back. Rigged on an 1/8"oz screw lock jig head.
Fresh2Salt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Congrats on the Trout.. it's a different place for sure. There's plenty wide open flats but there is structure too. Im sure the wind was a big factor for you, when it's really blowing down there it makes it difficult to find structure because it's on the edges most and that starts to get dirty. Couple more trips and you'll be old hat.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
wbs4010
Registered Users-pm+

wbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Piratewbs4010 has been promoted to Pirate
Great report, waiting on pics.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
wbs4010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 11:24 AM   #4
Im Headed South
Registered Users-pm+

Im Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to PirateIm Headed South has been promoted to Pirate
Mansfield in the wind can be quite the challenge if you don't have grass beds marked from previous trips when water clarity was good.
Im Headed South is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 12:53 PM   #5
Fresh2Salt

Fresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to PirateFresh2Salt has been promoted to Pirate
I was flying blind for sure. There was enough of a bite to keep me motivated during the long wade. Just as I'd hit a drought and think about turning back to the boat I'd catch more fish.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #6
tinman03
Lake Rat

tinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Piratetinman03 has been promoted to Pirate
We were at PM this weekend as well. Caught a 2man limit of nice trout Friday afternoon on plastic and live bait fishing east cut and surrounding areas. Sat and Sun was a bust.
Man that wind was bLOWING all weekend!!!
tinman03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Fresh2Salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman03 View Post
We were at PM this weekend as well. Caught a 2man limit of nice trout Friday afternoon on plastic and live bait fishing east cut and surrounding areas. Sat and Sun was a bust.
Man that wind was bLOWING all weekend!!!
We never made it to the water Friday. Got in too late.

It was a grind Saturday and Sunday for sure. Paid off eventually.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
Trouthunter
An Over 50 Victim Of Fate

Trouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to PirateTrouthunter has been promoted to Pirate
We caught fish Thursday evening up until dark and every morning and afternoon except for Saturday evening, man the wind was just too brutal to even try to fish.

TH
Old 06-21-2017, 11:00 AM   #9
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
When wading for flounder, these things are a life saver.

http://www.thefishgrip.net/
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2017, 11:17 AM   #10
sotexhookset
I love beer....

sotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Piratesotexhookset has been promoted to Pirate
Cool read, nice report.
sotexhookset is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message