Surf Question - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 09:32 PM   #1
Chuckybrown
Registered Users-pm+

Chuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to PirateChuckybrown has been promoted to Pirate
Surf Question

I've not waded the surf, so I have a question:

What is the maximum wave height to even attempt to wade the surf? I'd be throwing live bait I suppose, or soft plastics.

I wade the Rockport area bay system, and boat fish our bays, but have never hit the surf here.

Any input is appreciated.
Chuckybrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
teamfirstcast
Registered Users-pm+

teamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirateteamfirstcast has been promoted to Pirate
I think that's very dependent of your age and how the fish are biting... the older you are the less you are willing to fight the waves or no fish and you won't last long. If the fish are there, you can put up with taking one over head occasionally!

Try to look for .5 to 1.5ft with a SE wind to set up the green water on the beachfront and a NW wind will usually knock it flat but it may not be green. To be successful in the surf it's a constant vigil of weather wind and tides, a bit of luck, and being ready to go when it "gets right".
teamfirstcast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
dbarham
manvel mob

dbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Piratedbarham has been promoted to Pirate
1.6 and below is what I like
dbarham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2017, 10:18 PM   #4
Mr. Breeze
Just call me Breeze

Mr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to PirateMr. Breeze has been promoted to Pirate
Bobbing up and down is hard on the knees. Perfect for me is breaking just on the first bar. No white water on the second.
Mr. Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 AM   #5
SD Hawkins
Registered Users-pm+

SD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to PirateSD Hawkins has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Breeze View Post
Bobbing up and down is hard on the knees. Perfect for me is breaking just on the first bar. No white water on the second.
I agree with this, but have sat in the truck and watched friends take every 3rd or 4th one to the face..and they caught fish ( sometimes) buddy pulled out one just under 8 fishing conditions one morning that I said hell no to. Not enough to get on Star board but on his wall! Its not fun to get hat and glasses knocked off on first few casts, makes me reconsider.
SD Hawkins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 AM   #6
hook'n'em
76-37-5

hook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Piratehook'n'em has been promoted to Pirate
If you are 6' standing in 4' of water, well, you get it. I could take it when I was younger, but not anymore. Not that mad at 'em.
hook'n'em is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #7
Fishsurfer
Snakesurf

Fishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to PirateFishsurfer has been promoted to Pirate
You can do the surf without wading out too far even on a rough day. Many times the trout and redfish are in the first trough right off the beach, especially at high or incoming tide. If you can find a deep 1st trough it is better. Look for irregular wave patterns and cuts in the water line and sand and outflows or inflows across the 1st sand bar. Large predator fish feed out of deeper water and ambush to shallow water. Larger trout hang out together in groups of 2 or 4 and will only tolerate fish their own size otherwise they will try to eat the smaller ones. If they are not holding here then go to the next bar out but fish as you go. Only go in water you are comfortable in. If the waves are breaking over your head it is too rough in that area.
Attached Images

Fishsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Mark454
Registered Users-pm+

Mark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to PirateMark454 has been promoted to Pirate
Very good info Fishsurfer!
Mark454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
Drundel
Registered Users-pm+

Drundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to PirateDrundel has been promoted to Pirate
Also take into account the speed of the waves, slow rollers even if larger aren't near as bad as the short ones that come ever 2 seconds.
Drundel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2017, 04:58 PM   #10
grman
Registered Users-pm+

grman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirategrman has been promoted to Pirate
Swell + wind wave = actual wave height

So if you see a swell of 1.6 and wind wave of 1 ft, you will occasional get the wind wave on the crest of the swell i.e. A nearly 3 ft wave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
grman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message