Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 06-12-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
HOOVDOGTX
Registered Users-pm+

HOOVDOGTX is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
2005 Yamaha 250 HPDI's

can anyone refer me to a mechanic (in the Houston area )that can fix dual 2005 Yamaha 250 HPDI. I cannot seem to keep these things running. Both heads have been replaced and spent numerous hour in the shop. I have used Kroll's and Charlie is good but there always seems to be something else. I think this last outting was due to bad gas so draining fuel and replacing all filters if that isnt the issue I need to take it somewhere else. or sell it. Yamaha is no help and i cannot get a warm body to talk to. Yamaha customer service suck beyond all imagination and i can honestly say I never intend on buying another yamaha product.
HOOVDOGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #2
Blk Jck 224
Good Things Come To Those Who Wade

Blk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to PirateBlk Jck 224 has been promoted to Pirate
Meeks Outboard can fix them if they are fixable...Yamaha had a bad run on those 250 & 300 HPDIs...Not a matter of IF, but WHEN they will fail...They were so lean & mean out of the box trying to stay off the emission radar that just a little carbon makes them blow up...I popped four powerheads on my 2004 250 HPDI...Yamaha did me right...Under warranty on the first three...Upgraded to a 250 SHO 4 Stroke on pop # 4...I wished that I had done some more homework before enduring the HPDI nightmare...Give Steve a call...# 281-535-9206
Blk Jck 224 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #3
KEGLEG
Registered Users-pm+

KEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to GunnerKEGLEG has been promote to Gunner
I have a 2004 model 250 hpdi that I haven't gotten decarbed since I've owned it. It's run flawless with 508 hours on it now.
When should it be done and what's roundabout cost?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
KEGLEG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 07:31 AM   #4
HOOVDOGTX
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk Jck 224 View Post
Meeks Outboard can fix them if they are fixable...Yamaha had a bad run on those 250 & 300 HPDIs...Not a matter of IF, but WHEN they will fail...They were so lean & mean out of the box trying to stay off the emission radar that just a little carbon makes them blow up...I popped four powerheads on my 2004 250 HPDI...Yamaha did me right...Under warranty on the first three...Upgraded to a 250 SHO 4 Stroke on pop # 4...I wished that I had done some more homework before enduring the HPDI nightmare...Give Steve a call...# 281-535-9206
Thank you. After all I have read you would think Yamaha would do something to get these motors off the market instead of selling new heads and the nightmare continues. I must be Jinxed both sets of yamaha motors I have owned have been nightmare. I am to the point that if i get my boat running reliably I will sell it and just charter.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
HOOVDOGTX
Registered Users-pm+

You must be living right. I am very happy for you. I have less than 70 hours on my because i break down every trip or every other trip.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:06 PM   #6
bassplayer
Registered Users-pm+

bassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunnerbassplayer has been promote to Gunner
Aghhh... The good ol bashing of the 250/300 hpdi. I guess Id be doing the same though had it blown on me four times. I own a used 2003 250 HPDI w/close to 1000hrs. Called Yamaha for history and they tell me power head has been replaced in 2004. I am assuming the power head blew due to the recall of the oil rocker arm not giving enough oil causing to run dangerously lean. I am having great luck with mine. Due to the 1000psi sophisticated High Pressure fuel system design, ethanol at our fuel pumps is the killer to this engine. Fuel filter change is a must and these engines cannot sit stale. If/When you get running, put on hose and crank up of every two weeks to keep fuel flowing. Not bashing you but 70 hours is nothing for 2005 and tells me that it has not been used allot. If you have new fuel filters and cylinders have good compression, it sounds like it is a minute problem. Good Luck!
bassplayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
mikey911
Registered Users-pm+

mikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateermikey911 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I have 225 2003 HPDI, should I expect the same? So far, good with mine. Had to change some VST and other fuel filters but she's humming now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mikey911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
HOOVDOGTX
Registered Users-pm+

Your not bashing me so no problem. The reason I dont have the hours on them is they break every other trip. I dont live on the water but I do keep fresh fuel, and start them every 2-3 weeks. I have a cattle water tank i submerse them in to ensure the water pumps have sufficient coverage. I place stabilze and marine stabilze along with seafoam just to be safe. no luck. I am going to attempt running ethanol free gas on my next text run. If i have issues then im done. Both heads have been replaced so if anyone has a good offer I can supply pictures. DID I MENTION YAMAHA CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS
Old 06-19-2017, 03:36 PM   #9
Charlie in TX
Registered Users-pm+

Charlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to PirateCharlie in TX has been promoted to Pirate
First, a word about the big block (225hp up) hpdis. They can/will blow up from bad fuel. It causes a lean condition and melts a piston (number 6 if I recall).

Second, Stabil. Stay away from it. I have heard many boat mechanics say they have pumped plenty of fuel tanks treated with it. I have seen it turn to gel (looks like strawberry jelly) sitting on the shelf.

The HPDIs are ok engines, I own a pair of 150s. They like to be run often. Fuel treatment alone will not work. Parts can be EXPENSIVE. I replaced a hi pressure hose on one of mine. About 6 in long and 1/4 in dia. 700+ frog skins. I could buy a blown up parts motor for less.
Charlie in TX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #10
HOOVDOGTX
Registered Users-pm+

It would be nice if you could get someone at YAMAHA to inform a person as to the best method of preventive maintenance best fuel etc. Most mechanics will work on them but advise to repower (as many other as myself have had nothing but problems). It is nice to hear of someone having good luck with their units. I pray to god after this last work mine will operate. I just want to know how to properly maintain them to keep them out of shop. Every Mechanic i speak to has a different advise. I am getting older so I am actually to the point of selling and just getting charters.