I can’t seem to get comfortable with wade fishing… - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #1
coker101
Registered Users-pm+

coker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I can’t seem to get comfortable with wade fishing…

I know it may be a bit ridiculous but when I’m wade fishing I have a really uneasy feeling about being out there. It really takes the fun out of it to be honest. The whole time I’m out there I’m thinking about a bull shark or a gator creeping up on me. I didn’t grow up fishing and really only started getting into it just a few years back so maybe that’s part of it. I don’t know….maybe too many youtube videos or something.

Anyone else have this problem?
coker101 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:03 AM   #2
sgrem
Registered Users-pm+

sgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Piratesgrem has been promoted to Pirate
I have donated a half dozen stringers to the man in the grey suit. I have had them bump into me dozens of times. It will get your attn. But the fact is you are not on their menu. You aren't splashing around like something they would feed on. You are just another pier piling to them. They are around you. But you aren't in danger. Thousands of wade fisherman are in the water daily and you never hear of an incident. Now beach goers is a different story. They are splashing around like shark prey....

Now gators....dont wade in back lakes with gators. Period.

Wade with friends and see how comfy they are.

Or man there is no shame in it....i know a lot of people that generally stay in the boat.
sgrem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 AM   #3
Reel Time
Registered Users-pm+

Reel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to PirateReel Time has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by coker101 View Post
I know it may be a bit ridiculous but when I’m wade fishing I have a really uneasy feeling about being out there. It really takes the fun out of it to be honest. The whole time I’m out there I’m thinking about a bull shark or a gator creeping up on me. I didn’t grow up fishing and really only started getting into it just a few years back so maybe that’s part of it. I don’t know….maybe too many youtube videos or something.

Anyone else have this problem?
I've been wade fishing all of my life. I shuffle my feet and keep at least a 15 foot stringer. Sharks will take that before me. I hope.
Perhaps you can go out to a reef where it is really shallow and wade there. That might help.
Reel Time is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
head shaker
Registered Users-pm+

head shaker is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
sharks are definitely out there, we were fishing West Matagorda over by greens this pass weekend caught several small black tips 30'' or so and had about an 8ft Bull come up and investigate circle one time and left and yes we had fish on the stringers but thankfully he left without incident.
head shaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
RB II
Native Texan

RB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to PirateRB II has been promoted to Pirate
Don't even think about going to the Chandeleur Islands then. LOTS of sharks out there. We don't wade on the surf side there, but on the bay side no issues in many hundreds of man hours of wade bay fishing 35 miles offshore. They are there and will eat your stringer, but never a scratch.
RB II is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #6
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
It takes a pretty big person to admit to that.

Great info above. Might catch and release a little while as well just to get your confidence up. Might wade in the grass flats of Port A as well in super clear shin deep water. Get a couple limits on trout and reds while wading with a guide down there in clear shin deep water and you'll start to have more fun with it and forget about sharks.

Put a trip together with Marcus Canales, he wades and sightcast some shallow grass in the upper laguna. There are definitely no gators back there, and the chance of seeing a shark are remote at best.
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #7
coker101
Registered Users-pm+

coker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateercoker101 has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I remember a year or two ago I was listening to Mickey Eastman's show on the radio. He was talking about how he took people out once over by the "Moody property". I guess he was talking about the area around Moody Gardens, I don't know. Anyway, he said that they witnessed a fairly large gator pulling a calf into the water. That's never a good sign. I didn't even think gators were in the bay.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
poc-ed
Registered Users-pm+

poc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Riggerpoc-ed has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
I wade with a friend mostly. And we always discuss which way we're going and to remember to shuffle our feet and be aware of your surroundings . Kinda puts your mind at ease when fishing with a friend.
But then my wife says why wade when we have a perfectly nice boat.
Good luck.
poc-ed
poc-ed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
coker101
Registered Users-pm+

Quote:
Originally Posted by poc-ed View Post
I wade with a friend mostly. And we always discuss which way we're going and to remember to shuffle our feet and be aware of your surroundings . Kinda puts your mind at ease when fishing with a friend.
But then my wife says why wade when we have a perfectly nice boat.
Good luck.
poc-ed
Yea I have a boat as well but I live in Galveston and it's just easy to go to the end of my neighborhood and walk around in the water for a couple hours after work.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:52 AM   #10
swifty
swifty

Location: Texas Hill Country but leave a piece of my heart in Rockport everytime I visit...
swifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirateswifty has been promoted to Pirate
As others stated, just be willing to give up your catch if you run into a shark. I've never ran across a gator but I don't fish too many remote back marshes, yet. I'd give them my catch too though.

Long story short. My Popo fished Matty surf throughout the 50s/60s/70s and told me many stories of how he'd have to give up his catch to sharks. He even broke a few custom rods poking them as he walked back to shore. Used to scared the blank out of me as a kiddo when I heard him speak of those adventures.

As I've grown older I realize there is nothing in this world like wade fishing. Just be aware of your surroundings (shuffle feet etc) and have fun!
swifty is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message