HEB vs. Kroger - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > BBQ & Grilling Forum

Old 06-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Hevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to Pirate
HEB vs. Kroger

A little meat story from today.

I needed 10 lbs. of 3/4 inch thick sirloin run through a tenderizer for fajitas on Saturday for my daughters graduation party. My first stop was the new HEB at Hwy 6 and Sienna Plantation in Missouri City. They wre fantastic last week when I needed a pork loin and lucklily I got a 13 pound loin for $1.00 per pound. I have been raving obout them to everyone since then. It is a new store (only open a month or so) and I thought the sirloin deal would be a slam dunk.

This afternoon, I went into the store and was told by a meat counter teenager that there was no way I could get 3/4" sirloin steals run through the tenderizer. I told him thanks and went 1/4 mile down the road to the new Kroger at hwy 6 at the Ft. Bend Tollroad.

Now keep in mind that I was trhinking that the new HEB was the best grocery store that I have ever been in. It was clean in my previous visits, huge and had everything you could possibly need.

Before these two stores opened (within 1/4 mile of each other within the last month or so), I had always shopped at our closer Kroger (so I had a Kroger card). As I was walking through the new HEB, there was anti-Kroger propaganda everywhere. Many items where marked "Kroger price - card needed" vs. "HEB price - no card needed". They had huge banners hanging from the rafters showing how much you would save shopping at HEB without a card.

Anyway, When I walked into the HEB store it smelled horrible. The entire store stunk of rotten seafood etc. Just after that I got the news that I could not buy what I wanted.

So, I went to the new Kroger just down the road. I walked up to the meat counter and told the guy what I wanted, "10 lbs. of 3/4 inch sirloin, run through the tenderizer at a thickness that would not pulverize the meat". He said, "No problem - what grade of mear?" I told him Mid-grade and he sent me home with exactly what I wanted at $6.89 a pound - WITH 4.00/lb off with my Kroger card. I got 10lb. of tenderized sirloin for 2.89/lb. I think I just discoverd my newest favorite grocery store. Just wanted to pass my little story along. HEB is agreat store, for some stuff - not so much for custom meat though .... - Hevy
Old 06-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Hometown America Realty & Mortgage

SeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to GunnerSeaDeezKnots has been promote to Gunner
I live in Sienna Plantation and I am a confessed HEB man. Good news is, since there are two grocery stores nearby, I don't have to drive into Missouri City to Krogers and shop in a place where you'd thing they were giving food away.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:20 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Red3Fish has disabled reputation
Heavy Dee,

Another store I have never shopped in until recently, is a Fiesta. I was pretty impressed, with the variety. Had some nice shrimp, heads on, for a pretty good price ( like heads on for gumbo sometimes). Had frozen whole blue crabs roughly $2 each, ( I never thought I would pay $2 for a crab! But I dont flounder like I used to, and fill up a box with them). I like them for gumbo, also.

HEB USED to have great prices on their frozen farm raised shrimp, but not the great prices like they used to have anymore (26-30) headed and deveined, 3.99 a lb.)

No excuse for bad service, but any REAL butcher shop has an "aroma" to some degree or other. Even more so if they have fresh seafood.

Take a "walkabout" thru a Fiesta....or check their flier...they have some pretty good deals too! Quite a few "non hispanics" shopping there too!

Later

R3F
Old 06-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Jerry Jones rocks!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
I used to like HEB (the one in MC) but their meat counter sucks if you don't want something they have pre-wrapped. I like the new Sienna Kroger much better. I haven't tried the Sienna HEB yet and probably won't unless Krogers gives me the red arse for something
Old 06-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I am the banana in the boat!

essayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirateessayons75 has been promoted to Pirate
Kingwood Kroger vs. HEB

I go to both -

HEB for fruit and seafood.

Kroger for meat. One of the morning butchers is Karen. She is very nice and doesn't mind custom cuts. Kroger also has Flat Iron Steak (heavy salt and grill to medium, slice thin, beats ribeye, porterhouse, and T-bone hands down. Grilling 2 tonight.

I do think it is great that both stores and running good/free deals in these tough times.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:29 AM
Registered Users-pm+

jdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Piratejdickey has been promoted to Pirate
I wish someone would give HEB some competition here in Waco. So far they've driven off Albertson and Winn-Dixie, leaving WalMart or Sam's Club. Brookshire's is only in some of the out-lying towns.....so the HEB gets it all!

Always liked Kroger.....but they've never been in this area!
Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM
Registered Users-pm+

boat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirateboat_money has been promoted to Pirate
[quote=essayons75;2105903]
Kroger also has Flat Iron Steak (heavy salt and grill to medium, slice thin, beats ribeye, porterhouse, and T-bone hands down. Grilling 2 tonight.
quote]

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! don't let that secret out

i shop all 3. heb's meat is usually the most expensive. i go there mainly for their meal deal, their pre seaoned fajita meat, brisket when it's on sale and julio's salsa. kroger's is where i spend most of my $$. talk to your butcher, ask him questions and opinions (appreciate what he does) and not only will he do extra for you, you'll get notified of "secret deals" or upcoming ones, like wait til tomorrow heb has good veggies but fiesta blows them away price wise. i shop fiesta for my veggies and whatever's on sale. one by me has live blue crab for way less than $2. .
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Roby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerRoby has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
I just can't patronize a store that requires me to use a card with personal data on it to get a decent price. They keep track of everything you buy and profile your shopping habits. I think they turn this info over to Obama's minions to figuire out a way to raise your taxes..........
Old 06-29-2009, 01:11 PM
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
i wouldn't feed my dog anything out of the Kroger in Richmond

store stinks, staff is rude, place is filthy and full of Katrina leftovers..........
Old 07-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Jungle Spelling Police

txjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Piratetxjustin has been promoted to Pirate
There is not a store that rivals HEB on quality and price, period. I used to work in grocery stores for about 4 years and HEB is the best by far price and quality wise.