Texas teens can waive driving test for license - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > TTMB

Notices

Old 03-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Seabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to PirateSeabass has been promoted to Pirate
Texas teens can waive driving test for license

My wife mentioned this to me the other day and I thought she was crazy. But no...its true. Teens can now take a "parent taught" driver's ed class....meaning their mom or dad can teach them how to drive a car with the state certifying the home taught course. They send you a packet of course information to teach, and a guideline on physical driving instructions. The kid takes both of these classes and the parent signs a voucher stating that the kid passed (ha!). The child can now go into the DPS office and get a license WITHOUT EVEN HAVING TO TAKE A PHYSICAL DRIVING EXAMINATION!!!

So the state of Texas is letting uncertified parents train the next generation of motorists out there. Just think about that tomorrow morning on your way to work when you see morons driving horribly... guess you just have to hope that they are sterile.

Maybe this was brought up here before and I didn't see it. Gotta run.... and make a call to Geico..

From the DPS website:
The student must take a written and vision examination prior to receiving the Texas Driver License Instruction permit. However, the skills (driving) test will be waived for teenagers who complete both classroom and behind-the-wheel portions of a Texas driver education course. The instructor participating in the Parent Taught Driver Education Program has the option to waive the skills (driving) test or require the student to pass the skills (driving) test administered by DPS prior to issuing a Class C driver license.

Seabass
Old 03-04-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

Location: In the jon boat catching specks under the light or on the coast or the prairie shooting waterfowl.
WWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of SwabbieWWR has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
This isn't new news.

But I can't believe they allow that.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Aggie Mom

portalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirateportalto has been promoted to Pirate
I taught my 21 yo son and am now teaching my 16 yo son. Because both boys are on MY insurance, you can bet your behind I insure they know every rule - driven and written. Am I an uncertified teacher because I'm 52 years old, no traffic ticket and no accident (in all my driving history)? Have you looked into what is required 'in that packet'?
Before you rant and rave, look into what is required for a parent to teach their child how to drive.
Sorry, rant off!

Last edited by portalto; 03-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Registered Users-pm+

SoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to PirateSoccerMomma has been promoted to Pirate
Unfortunately it's true. The parents sign all the paperwork, the kids drive very little, and then the day they turn 16 they go down and pick up their license...the next step is driving on the same roadways as the rest of us! VERY scary and I think totally wrong. ALso, whatever happened to road tests...they were the best. About 1 in every 10 kid failed and that made the other ones that much more careful.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Registered Users-pm+

bone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Piratebone has been promoted to Pirate
i rank this with home schooling, over protective parents.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Hevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to PirateHevy Dee has been promoted to Pirate
We did it ....

absolutely no problems. It's not that new a deal, been around for at least two years, maybe longer. As parents, we made sure she did all the road time and passed all the tests. 2 years so far and not so much as a ticket or warning or anything. since I (we) are the ones who taught her to drive, and we did it responsibly, it is a much better option than what we had in the late '70's. I have to admit, that I thought it was wierd at first, but it worked just fine (so far, at least) for us. If there are problems it is with lazy parents who lie and do not follow the program. Where I live in Mo'City/Sugarland the teens drivers are the least of our worries. I'm more worried about the folks not from here in there BMW'S and Benzes etc. Middle age maniacs behind the wheel. - Hevy
Old 03-04-2009, 11:39 PM
proficient exprofessional

TXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to PirateTXwhtlHNTR has been promoted to Pirate

I keep trying to remember who taught me to drive. Wait, it WAS my parents!

Then again, my parents could do so. Maybe some can't?
Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 AM
Registered Users-pm+

spirit has disabled reputation
My Daddy taught me to drive when I was 8 years old. At 10 I drove FM roads - at 12 I was driving Interstate highway - had a drivers license at 15 in Ark. When we moved back to Texas they took my license away and made me take Driver's Ed.

I taught my boy to drive - what he didn't learn from me, my Daddy took care of. That parent taught drivers course has been around since 1997 - it isn't new.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:17 AM
Member when we usta.......?

MrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to PirateMrG has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by bone View Post
i rank this with home schooling, over protective parents.
I rank this as one of the most 'bone' headed, ignorant, and uninformed statements that I've seen on this forum.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:01 AM
Like tannerite

boom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirateboom! has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrG View Post
I rank this as one of the most 'bone' headed, ignorant, and uninformed statements that I've seen on this forum.
MrG, in Bone's defense, home schooling would be a dis service to his offspring.