Ugly stick bottom rods - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 02-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #1
fishinfool
Registered Users-pm+

fishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Piratefishinfool has been promoted to Pirate
Ugly stick bottom rods

has anyone used the ugly stick (i think) big water stand up rod? its a 50-130lb rod. all aftco roller guides, alluminum real seat and gimbal. i am looking for something relativily inexpensive to mount a Avet 50SDS on with 130-150lb spectra. i fish mainly party boats with occasional trips on friends private boats. it seems like a good rod for $160. any comments or experience with this rod. thanks MIKE
fishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
squidboy
Registered Users-pm+

squidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateersquidboy has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
If you are looking to go cheap try the fishing tackle unlimited black magic rods they are around 200 and life time warrinty if I'm not mistaken.
squidboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #3
bwguardian
archTech

bwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Piratebwguardian has been promoted to Pirate
Ugly Stik makes a good rod...I have several bait cast and boat rods. I also have some inexpensive Fenwick Tuna or Tiger Stik rods that I have been happy with...Fenwick sticks by their products. I mainly use these for tarpon and light offshore fishing. I have seen them in Academy and actually started to buy one once upon a time and then found a deal on some Fenwick rods. I would say try it.
bwguardian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
OutKast
Registered Users-pm+

OutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of RiggerOutKast has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Most of my rods on my boat are Ugly Stick's but 30-80 lb class. They work excellent for anything from snapper to sails to tuna or wahoo. My ownership partner just bought the rod you're talking about so I don't have any knowledge of that rod just yet, but I'm sure if it is as good as the 30-80's, then I will be extremely pleased. I've currently got these rods on TLD's 25's to 50's...I've got 2 Avet 50 wides on them and the setup is not well balanced at all. We are planning to change those out to some bent butt tuna sticks from Meltons, but need to save up for those $500 rods. The Avet reels are just too heavy for the light Ugly Sticks...I would imagine it would fit better on the heavier rods though. They are a perfect match for the TLD LRSAII 50's though. I have never had an issue with ulgy sticks whatsoever.
OutKast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #5
Seaweed
Registered Users-pm+

Seaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of RiggerSeaweed has been promoted to the rank of Rigger
Give Don Savage a call or pm on here, you can't beat Savage Rods...Plus the price may be lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutKast View Post
Most of my rods on my boat are Ugly Stick's but 30-80 lb class. They work excellent for anything from snapper to sails to tuna or wahoo. My ownership partner just bought the rod you're talking about so I don't have any knowledge of that rod just yet, but I'm sure if it is as good as the 30-80's, then I will be extremely pleased. I've currently got these rods on TLD's 25's to 50's...I've got 2 Avet 50 wides on them and the setup is not well balanced at all. We are planning to change those out to some bent butt tuna sticks from Meltons, but need to save up for those $500 rods. The Avet reels are just too heavy for the light Ugly Sticks...I would imagine it would fit better on the heavier rods though. They are a perfect match for the TLD LRSAII 50's though. I have never had an issue with ulgy sticks whatsoever.
Seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 03:58 PM   #6
great white fisherman
Registered Users-pm+

great white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirategreat white fisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Offshore rod lower than $160.00 )) wow wiht roiller guides and all that.
great white fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #7
Unbound
23' Sea Ox/200 hpdi

Unbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to PirateUnbound has been promoted to Pirate
It's a good rod. I also have the 30-80 ugly stik SUs and really like those and have caught some really nice fish on them. I've never got into anything bigger than a nice sail on the 50-130 so I've never really tested it, but it sure seems capable, and I think the Avet 50 would be a good match.
Unbound is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
Swells
Registered Users-pm+

Swells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to PirateSwells has been promoted to Pirate
Offshore Angler has a perfectly fine one for 50 bucks. EBay, clearance sales, and estate sales can get you down in that zone. For everyday digging and dabbling, you don't need a pro rod. You can get three for the price of one, so if you blow one up you don't feel all that bad. Save the super-duper one for trolling in the socket or for standup YTF. If you're a champion jigger who routinely catches 100 pound tuna, grouper and A-J, well, disregard what I said.
Swells is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Reel Blessed
Registered Users-pm+

Reel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to PirateReel Blessed has been promoted to Pirate
I have a few on my boat with Avet 30 wides on them. They have been good to me so far. I would reccommend them. They sure are hard to beat for that price.
Reel Blessed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
safisher
Registered Users-pm+

safisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Piratesafisher has been promoted to Pirate
I broke my Sea Magic (great relatively inexpensive Jigging rod). While waiting for the replacement (Hello TJ!!!! Where are you?) I have been using an Ugly stick- I love it. Stiff near the butt but just enough flex at the tip to jig effectively.

Nick
safisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message