Freezing Tuna Steaks - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 03-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Wildman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Texasflag4 Freezing Tuna Steaks

How do you tuna fisherman put your steaks up in the freezer? Freeze in water vacuum seal, etc.?? I've got plenty of blackfin and yellowfin I need to put up in the next few days and want some info on the best way to do it. I freeze all of my fish in water usually but have never put up tuna. All I know is it's great fresh. Does it pick up fishy flavor once frozen? Thanks in advance!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2005, 12:01 PM
Banned

Pat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to PiratePat P has been promoted to Pirate
Tuna holds up much better if you vacuum seal them. Freezing in water seems to do something to the texture of the meat, kinda like trout.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark

Free_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to PirateFree_loader has been promoted to Pirate
i vacuum seel as well ..

just FYI vacuum sealed and frozed tuna will lose it;s color .. but it will still taste great!!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Just one More

Captfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to PirateCaptfry has been promoted to Pirate
Vacuum seal them, No Water!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:05 PM
FISH ON!!!!!!

bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)bluewater bear is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Texasflag4

I agree with pat. i have quite a bit of tuna that's vaccum packed and it stays great. when you defrost it and take it out of the package, it has no fishy smell at all. i actually vaccum pack all of my fish. plus it doesn't take up a ton of room like when you freeze fish in water.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered Users-pm+

James Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to PirateJames Howell has been promoted to Pirate
Vacuum seal large chunks of loins (say about 5 inches thick) as opposed to steaks. It seems to keep better. I just trim a little off the edges of the chunk when its thawed, discard, and cut steaks and go to town.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM
Crabby Old Man

Snagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to PirateSnagged has been promoted to Pirate
Vacuum seal and be sure to cut ALL the blood line out.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Wildman is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Texasflag4 Vacuum Sealing

Sounds like this is the ticket. Thanks for all of the info guys. Sounds like it must hold up in the freezer pretty good.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:25 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Gap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to PirateGap has been promoted to Pirate
James H is right on. Freeze them in a loin big enough for X steaks - however many you'd make in one meal. Don't cut the steaks until you defrost a bag. After a month or two the outside will lose it's red color and go grey, but the inside will stay more pink. It doesn't really taste too different, but the appearance is so much better.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Banned

disgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbiedisgusted has been promoted to the rank of Swabbie
Bring em on over. I will show you how to do it? nShow you how to cook them too!