Keeping fried foods hot and crispy - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Recipes

Old 04-21-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
ydnark
Beleaguered and Bewildered

ydnark has disabled reputation
Keeping fried foods hot and crispy

How do you folks keep your fried foods warm after cooking. I know the best way would be with a wire cooling rack over a sheet pan, with a radiant heat lamp setup, but I'm talking about at home. I have tried to put fish, potatoes, etc. in the oven on the "keep warm" setting in paper towel lined foil pans, but the it gets mushy. Brown paper grocery sacks work for a few minutes, but after a while, the results are the same. I know not to cover it up or the steam cannot get out and this causes the soggy result.

Can ya hook a brutha up?
ydnark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #2
kim e cooper
Registered Users-pm+

kim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Piratekim e cooper has been promoted to Pirate
I use brown paper bags for the fish and roll the top up but i poke holes all in the bag the taters i use frozen they stay crispy in a pan with no paper towel .JWCOOP
kim e cooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Haute Pursuit
Jerry Jones rocks!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
Don't use paper towels... use either foil or parchment paper. The paper towels absorb the excess oil and will make your fried stuff soggy.
Haute Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 08:07 AM   #4
Leemo
Registered Users-pm+

Leemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerLeemo has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Pursuit
Don't use paper towels... use either foil or parchment paper. The paper towels absorb the excess oil and will make your fried stuff soggy.
Me-Know-Understand, the oil keeps the fish crisp?, explain please sir. thanks!
Leemo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 AM   #5
Haute Pursuit
Jerry Jones rocks!

Haute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to PirateHaute Pursuit has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leemo
Me-Know-Understand, the oil keeps the fish crisp?, explain please sir. thanks!
The oil will stay hot in the oven on the foil and not soak into it like a sponge (paper towels)... it will also be able to run away from the fillets. Using paper towels on fried stuff is no bueno unless you just do it for a second to remove excess grease/oil and remove it. Paper towels act like a sponge so your fillets are sitting on top of a big wet oil bath.

The best is the wire rack but I don't always have that handy and I get chewed out after using it for fish because according to the warden, that is for cookies only
Old 04-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #6
chicapesca
For the Fish!!

chicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Piratechicapesca has been promoted to Pirate
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Pursuit
The best is the wire rack but I don't always have that handy and I get chewed out after using it for fish because according to the warden, that is for cookies only
Now that is a good idea! I'm going to get one just for frying!
chicapesca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
SpeckledTrout
Registered Users-pm+

SpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
If paper towels absorb oil that leaks from the fillets, what's to stop the oil from leaking outta the fillets and onto the foil or parchment paper. Wouldn't the results be the same, then? Inquiring minds want to know.
SpeckledTrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #8
Haute Pursuit
Jerry Jones rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledTrout
If paper towels absorb oil that leaks from the fillets, what's to stop the oil from leaking outta the fillets and onto the foil or parchment paper. Wouldn't the results be the same, then? Inquiring minds want to know.
Take a piece of foil and pour some water on it and then do the same with a paper towel. It will run off of the foil. Most fried foods aren't perfectly flat anyway. Paper towels will cradle the food in the oil they absorbed and the same food will only touch the foil in a few areas. I used to use paper grocery bags or paper towels all the time but since I switched to foil and the oven warmer, no more soggy fillets.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #9
SpeckledTrout
Registered Users-pm+

SpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerSpeckledTrout has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
So, it's the sitting in the oil that leaked onto the paper towels that's bad? Is this right?

If that's the case, then you'd think that suspending the fish, on a rack, above the foil would work real good, correct?
SpeckledTrout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #10
Haute Pursuit
Jerry Jones rocks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeckledTrout
So, it's the sitting in the oil that leaked onto the paper towels that's bad? Is this right?

If that's the case, then you'd think that suspending the fish, on a rack, above the foil would work real good, correct?
That is the best way to do it. IMO