270 WSM Vs. 300 Win. Mag for elk - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
rbt2
remember what's TRULY important in life!

rbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Piraterbt2 has been promoted to Pirate
270 WSM Vs. 300 Win. Mag for elk

what are your thoughts on these two calibers for elk (270 WSM / 300 Win. Mag.)?

thanks

rbt2
rbt2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
diggler
Registered Users-pm+

diggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunnerdiggler has been promoted to the rank of Gunner
I prefer .300 WIN. MAG. Of course .270 WSM would work.
diggler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #3
asolde
Rattle snake AL

asolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirateasolde has been promoted to Pirate
I have shot elk with a .270 win and I am sure a .270 wsm will work. I believe that you could shoot a larger grain bullet with the .300 mag. If you have the choice go with the .300 mag. I am going to use a .300 wsm with a barnes 165gr triple shock bullet.
asolde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #4
Bowhntr
Registered Users-pm+

Bowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to PirateBowhntr has been promoted to Pirate
Hey RBT2
my choice (I've take 1 bighorn,2 5x5 bulls in Colorado-go there every other year) is to use a bow. I shoot a mathews switchback LD, but took my animals with my PSE 6000. They never ran that far either 20-25 yards. Will post some picture later
just my thrill of the chase answer

norm
Bowhntr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
Spots and Dots
Registered Users-pm+

Spots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to Pirate
Either will work, but you should consider down range ballistics in your choice. I am not sure how much energy a .270 looses at around 300 yards, but there is a chance you'll need to take a long shot.

I shot 2 elk this past season. Each was 280+ yards, and my .300 WSM did not exit.
My buddy shot a couple with his 30-06 and got pass throughs, but he took easy 30 yards shots............wish I was that lucky. (then again, I took 2 animals on my first ever Elk hunt......guess I am pretty lucky).

I would take the largest claiber you can shoot well. That way you won't have the concern.
One thing is for sure, you can never kill you target too much, but you may track one a long way that you don't end up finding.
Spots and Dots is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
CoastalOutfitters
sea monkey rancher

CoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to PirateCoastalOutfitters has been promoted to Pirate
300 win mag , easily the choice for ammo avail and load variations, one of the most common elk rounds out there....

now......... 7mag VS 300 win mag is an ugly elk debate ....LOL
CoastalOutfitters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
CHARLIE
Registered Users-pm+

CHARLIE has disabled reputation
Heck he will wake up dead an have no idea what killed him. Both will work fine..Just make shure you use the right 270 bullet.

Charlie
CHARLIE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 08:39 PM   #8
wedington
Banned

wedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
.300 Win Mag for sure. If you go to Winchester's website you can view a ballistics table and you will see how much more energy that the .300 will deliver downrange than the .270WSM. Also, the .300 is gonna give you a flatter shot. If you really want to step it up try at .300 Wby Mag. It will knock an elk flat on its ***** out to 400 yards.
wedington is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 08:43 PM   #9
wedington
Banned

wedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matewedington has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
I'm sorry try this website, I thought it was Winchester.

http://www.gunsandammomag.com/ballistics/
wedington is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 PM   #10
Gwill
Registered Users-pm+

Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)Gwill is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
With the quality bullets these days caliber selection has become somewhat watered down. Either will kill just fine but more importantly pick a good bullet (Partition, TSX, Trophy Bonded, A-Frame, etc.) and put the bullet where it needs to go. The rest will fall into place...

All about the bullets...
Gwill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message