Holden Pasture "Nunley Chittim Ranch deer lease" live deer season 2014-2015 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Notices

Old 10-03-2014, 09:36 AM   #1
broadonrod

broadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Pirate
Texasflag4 Holden Pasture "Nunley Chittim Ranch deer lease" live deer season 2014-2015

It's that time of the year again! This will be our live deer season thread. These things are a blast and we really enjoy sharing them so off we go .. We have been down working and cleaning up the camp quite a bit over the last couple of weeks. We haven't had much time to do a lot if scouting but from what little we have seen it looks like a great season is ahead of us.
Not having the time to sit in the blinds much on top of the 100 degree heat we set up a couple of trail cameras on 2 of the stands in the small family pasture area. This pasture is anout a 10 % section of the ranch we have designated years ago for our Holden Roofing customers and sales reps which come down as guest to hunt management deer along with the family members.
A week or so ago Matt sat in one of the blinds and said he saw a really unique buck with lots of points. He didn't get a very good look at the deer so we set a camera up and sure enough we recognized the buck instantly as one we have seen for several years. This buck 4 years ago was a really good deer around 180". The buck took a major fall in horn growth over the next 2 seasons. This year makes the 7th season in a row we have watched this buck at this blind location and he really popped this year.

Shortening up the story we figure the buck to be post mature and about 10 years old. Our goal is to raise bucks at least 7 years old before taking them so this old fella went straight on the hunt list.

The ranch is just under 15000 acres of low fence and we are not under any MLD program. The only way we could hunt the buck this time of the year not being regular deer season would be to bow hunt him. I started bow hunting again 3 years ago after putting it down in the late 90s but I really wanted my dad to have a chance at this buck before he broke tines.
My dad is 79 years old and has lost 100 % of his eye sight in his left eye and had been instructed not to over strain the right one witch requires a shot every 2-4 weeks. That being said it kinda eliminated pulling back a 60-70 lb bow.

This year we added 2 "management" members to the ranch and Josh one of our new members had just purchased a new crossbow. I called Josh and he loaned it to us for the hunt. Well yesterday morning my dad and I headed out on our 2nd day looking for the big buck. The deer came in at 22 yards and my dad nailed him with a perfect shot! The deer ran 80 yards and folded up. Matt videoed the hunt from the tower stand and I videoed the hunt from the bow blind and got some great footage!

The deer has 21 storable points and has been scored 3 times now at 203-204" ... Ill post up several pictures of the deer before and after the hunt shortly. My dad Don and buddy Oscar are just leaving the Muy Grande Deer Contest and headed to another.. Pictures are coming in a minute he said..

Looking forward to seeing all of the 2coolers that booked management hunts this season and can't wait for the first good cold snap!

I'll post up some trail can pics also and a couple of nice bucks we have seen in the past week or so here in South Texas!

Thanks Brett Holden
Old 10-03-2014, 09:49 AM   #2
broadonrod

broadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Piratebroadonrod has been promoted to Pirate
Here is a picture of the buck my dad took with the cross bow yesterday. The buck is 21 points and has been scored 203 3/8s. The first buck of the season taken by 79 year old Don Holden here at the Nunley Chittim Deer lease. First pic is trail came pic. We were pretty excited a lot more pictures coming! Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412347663.991252.jpg
Views: 21373
Size:  287.5 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412347692.524391.jpg
Views: 21534
Size:  326.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412347705.874460.jpg
Views: 21441
Size:  248.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412347727.708230.jpg
Views: 21280
Size:  301.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412347736.891478.jpg
Views: 21359
Size:  287.5 KB
Old 10-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #3
broadonrod

Freer Deer Camp.. Venado Macho Big Buck Contest just scored the buck at 205 6/8s !!!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
sundownbrown
Registered Users-pm+

sundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Piratesundownbrown has been promoted to Pirate
Very nice as usual. I will be following this all year. I love the pics.
sundownbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
DCAVA
Car Man

DCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to PirateDCAVA has been promoted to Pirate
Wow, what a monster buck!!

Congrats to your father!!
DCAVA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Mikeyhunts
Registered Users-pm+

Mikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to PirateMikeyhunts has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome Brett!!! I love it when good rumors come true!!!
Mikeyhunts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
rudytail10
Registered Users-pm+

rudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Piraterudytail10 has been promoted to Pirate
Awesome

WOW. What a deer. Your dad looks like he is having the time of his life. Tell him I said congrats. A fater and son hunting togeather is what life is all about. You will cherish these memories forever my friend. I can not wait until we get down there this year. Keep up the good work and I will see you soon.

Clayton Ryan
rudytail10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #8
Rack Ranch
Certified Animal Chiropractor

Rack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to PirateRack Ranch has been promoted to Pirate
Freak Nasty!!

Congrats to everyone..
Rack Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
jgale
Bad decisions make good stories!

jgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Piratejgale has been promoted to Pirate
Dang! Helluva buck! Amazing he blew up that much at 10+ years old. Congrats to your dad! The smile on his face says it all.
jgale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
FISH TAILS
Registered Users-pm+

FISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to PirateFISH TAILS has been promoted to Pirate
I am really glad it all worked out that! That thing is stud and I am sure your dad is happy. I am really looking forward to being there this season. I got one problem now I have big shoes to fill with my bow now. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Josh
FISH TAILS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message