Offshore Freeport 6/5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:
Old 06-07-2004, 09:44 AM
Live Like No One Else.

michaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Pirate
Offshore Freeport 6/5

Me and my dad headed out of Bridge Bait about 600 on our first trip of the year. I think this is the last place I will use Bridge bait cause seem like the people around there can only tie their boats up on the boat ramp. But that being said I will get on with my report.

We decided to head out to TallRock. It was a little choppy so we were only making a slow pace of about 14 Knots. Figured that we were not much over trolling speed we would slow down a little and throw out a few lures. Before my dad had a chance to get the second lure out were already had a hit. My dad landed a Bonito which was our first. Over the next few miles we landed several few more Bonito. Then after getting three lures out and able to sit down. Then all a sudden one of the reels screamed. So I kicked the boat out of gear and got the other lines in and out of the way. The fish was still running and had taken off and half the line had been peeled off the Sentor 114. After about a 15 minute fight we saw a fish but couldn't identify what kind of fish but did both know the fish was big. And he made another run but this time he didn't run as far. After another quick fight my dad had him back to the boat but the fish was still not ready to give up. I had to turn the boat a few times so my dad would be able to fight the fish. This time I he got the fish to the boat and he had won. It was a big WAHOO!!!!!

After the wahoo we troll on out to Tall Rock and picked up a few more Bonito. We anchors at Tall Rock without much luck cause there where boat already over the spot we have always had luck at.

We the trolled to a rig a little to the west. As I let out my first drift line and had a hook up before the bait was out but about 20'. The fish got back to the rig and must have drug the leader over the leg cause it broke the snap swivel. That was about all that happened.

So then about 200 we started heading back in. We trolled in and not much going on. He hooked with another bonito and then I had a good hook and a real scream but not as good as the earlier but still nice. I had a good fight for about 10 minutes. This time it was a Jack Carvelle about 30lb. After this we trolled a little but no more hook-ups.

Then when we got to Bridge Bait boats were once again tied up to the dock along the boat ramps. And once we got the boat on the trail and to squeeze the truck and boat between boats that were parked right in front of ramps.

TPWD was waiting to do a survey and we had no problem measuring our fish. The guys seemed to be a lilttle surprised with our caught. And looked at me funny when I told them that they better get a longer board.

We ended up with a half dozen Bonito all about 2'
and Wahoo 59 3/4"

So all and all a nice day. So I will just have to wait until the next trip.

All and all we felt like we had a good trip.

PS. I forgot we got a small chicken dolphin also trolling back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2004, 09:54 AM
Senior Member, do I get a discount?

bigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunner
Texasflag2

What, no pictures? boy if you would have had a friend with a digital camera! well, that wasn't already out there! Jacob got his first kingfish. he was wound up tight.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Live Like No One Else.

michaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Piratemichaelbaranowski has been promoted to Pirate
I guess I am going to have to break down and buy a camera. But after buying gas I am not sure if I am going to be going fishing for awhile and the camera might have to wait.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:59 AM
Senior Member, do I get a discount?

bigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunnerbigdaddyriverrat has been promote to Gunner
Shoot, have to get about 5-6 of us together on that! rich man's sport!
Old 06-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Registered Users-pm+

SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)SteveB is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Frown Michael, which boat were you in?

We were out there at the 393 rigs and Tall Rock in the "MK Mako", a blue and white Mako Walkaround. Didn't have much luck since my buddy got seasick on the way out and I had to drive the boat and fish all at the same time. He spent all day laying in the cabin.

Steve
Old 06-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Live Like No One Else.

Gary Witch
light gray 24' chapparral cuddy cabin
w/ custom built hard

I think I saw your boat. That would be hard to be the only person on the boat able to fish.
Old 06-07-2004, 08:10 PM
Dreamchaser

gregd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gregd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)gregd is a Landlubber (+10 to -10)
Great report, congrats on the Wahoo, wow, that's pretty close in for a Wahoo, were you in blue water when you got him?

Bridge Bait and Freeport are certainly not on my list of places to visit anymore. Went out of there for years, too many people. And the people that run that place aren't very professional. Grounds further south work just fine for me. Last time I was there, a few years ago, there wasn't anyplace else to tie up but at the ramps, just too many people, and the cut near bridge bait is way too shallow for my boat. Come on further south to fish, lots more room!!!
Old 06-08-2004, 05:32 AM
Live Like No One Else.

Yes.......we were in blue water. If I remember correctly the water was blue by 15 miles.

We normally fish out of Matagorda but I haven't had a chance to see how bad the mouth is silted up. We have been thinking about maybe even checking out Port "A" in a few weeks.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered Users-pm+

mcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Matemcgolfer has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
gregd i believe you have bridge bait ramp and beach bait ramp confused. bridge bait is located right on the icw and beach bait ramp is back to the west off of the icw.....rick
Old 06-08-2004, 07:37 AM
NRA LIFER

Dutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to PirateDutch Treat has been promoted to Pirate
Gregd,I think you are referring to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregd
Great report, congrats on the Wahoo, wow, that's pretty close in for a Wahoo, were you in blue water when you got him?

Bridge Bait and Freeport are certainly not on my list of places to visit anymore. Went out of there for years, too many people. And the people that run that place aren't very professional. Grounds further south work just fine for me. Last time I was there, a few years ago, there wasn't anyplace else to tie up but at the ramps, just too many people, and the cut near bridge bait is way too shallow for my boat. Come on further south to fish, lots more room!!!
Beach Bait & Tackle. Their ramp uses the long, shallow channel to the ICW. Bridge Bait ramp is directly on the ICW. But it is crowded and unprofessionally run as well. Pretty much chaos loading and unloading and the limited available dock space is too often taken up by charters waiting on their people to show up. However, it is a great spot to sit with a cold drink and watch the 'boat ramp follies' in the afternoon.

Don't blame you for not coming back. I run out of Freeport but I quit trailering and got a slip at Bridge Harbor. (whole different set of issues and headaches), lol.

Good fishin'................Bob