Kort Nozzle. - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Old 12-27-2006, 11:07 AM
Registered Users-pm+

capt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Kort Nozzle.

I was thinking of fabing a kort nozzle just like the one pictured here. Except adding 2" on both ends. I will be attaching it to a Johnson 115 hp motor. The boat the motor is mounted to is a 25' pontoon. I use the pontoon boat to haul atvs and gear to an island.
Anyone have any info on the preformance of a outboard with a kort nozzle please let me know.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Registered Users-pm+

capt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateercapt_joe has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Picture

Here picture.............
Old 12-27-2006, 11:38 AM
POC chunker

Pocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
That is not a Kort nozzle, it is a prop gaurd. There's a big difference. A prop for a Kort Nozzle has blade tips shaped to closely match the inside of the nozzle. The nozzle captures the tip vortices that roll off the ends of the prop and redirects them into thrust. The Kort nozzle profile is also foil shaped such with a much wider chord than that prop gaurd. The foil shape helps to accelerate the flow of water through the nozzle and create yet more thrust. A well designed prop and Kort nozzle combo will have about 30% more thrust than a stand alone prop. That "Prop Gaurd" in the picture does nothing to enhance thrust.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:26 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Pocketfisherman,
I know the picture is a prop protecter. I also understand the advantages of a true kort nozzle. But thank you for the explanation. My question is this, if I was to fab a similiar devise but add 2" to the ends so that it totally covers all of the prop. What advantages / disavantages might I see? I've seen home made kort nozzles on boats. I'm hoping to get feed back than decieded if it's worth my time and effort.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Registered Users-pm+

jlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Piratejlatigo has been promoted to Pirate
how about a pic of a true kort nozzle? from the discription that poketfisherman gave it sounds like a complicated build with tight tollerances.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Registered Users-pm+

thundertrout has disabled reputation
i got to digging around and found this site www.harbormodels.com jay
Old 12-27-2006, 07:59 PM
Registered Users-pm+

Spots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to PirateSpots and Dots has been promoted to Pirate
If a Kort Nozzle will give you about 30% more thrust, why isn't everyone running them? That sounds like a great thing.

What's the downside?
Old 12-27-2006, 08:06 PM
POC chunker

Pocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to PiratePocketfisherman has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spots and Dots
If a Kort Nozzle will give you about 30% more thrust, why isn't everyone running them? That sounds like a great thing.

What's the downside?
On a Planing hull, the added drag offsets the the thrust gainesd so no real benefit and few if any run them. On a displacement hull where there are no high speeds to creat the high drag, and where thrust needs to be maximized, you'll be hard pressed to find a tug or towboat without one. On an outboard powered planing hull, the benefit would likely be better directional control, and maybe a bit more thrust. But, I think you will also loose a couple of MPH on top from drag on a planing hull and worse performance in reverse,
Old 12-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Chest deep in the Blanco River

GreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to PirateGreatWhite4591 has been promoted to Pirate
Here's a little something on it

gotta scroll down

http://www.uscgboating.org/articles/...iew.aspx?id=67
Old 12-28-2006, 02:42 AM
Registered Users-pm+

Pocketfisherman,
Without the true foil shape of the nozzle, your opinion would be that it would have no benefits at all?
When my pontoon boat plans, it plans bow down. Something I'd like to do away with. I use this pontoon as more of a work boat and not for pleasure.
Thanks.