I can’t seem to get comfortable with wade fishing… - Page 5 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Saltwater Fishing Forums > General Fishing Discussion

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #41
troutsupport

troutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Piratetroutsupport has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin' Soldier View Post
... and smacked it on the nose with my rod tip. THIS FREAKING THING EXPLODED. The wake and boil almost dumped me out of the kayak. ... I was nervous but never really scared until it erupted. That was an intense few seconds.

I had one EXPLODE under a little john boat in lake Livingston a LONG LONG time ago.. that's hair raising for sure.. well I'm glad you stayed in the yak. Besides, you'd be chewy at best ;-)
troutsupport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #42
Fishin' Soldier
Can't be what you ain't.

Fishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to PirateFishin' Soldier has been promoted to Pirate
Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutsupport View Post
I had one EXPLODE under a little john boat in lake Livingston a LONG LONG time ago.. that's hair raising for sure.. well I'm glad you stayed in the yak. Besides, you'd be chewy at best ;-)
No doubt, chewy for sure! The gator finally came up about 100 yards away. I pulled in the stringer and moved to a different part of the shoreline. Had to get in the water and clean out my shorts too.
Fishin' Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #43
kc5rkg
Registered Users-pm+

kc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateerkc5rkg has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
If we worried about all the "what ifs" we would never get behind the wheel of a car or eat fast food! I'm sure the chances of something bad happening to you are far greater on the road than in the water. I'm not sure if that will make you want to wade or never drive again....

I love to wade so I don't let all the "what ifs" deter me. I slide my feet, use a long stringer, etc and try to be aware of my surroundings to the best I can. Otherwise I just enjoy it!!
kc5rkg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #44
Moondog94
Just add water

Moondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to PirateMoondog94 has been promoted to Pirate
Nothing to be ashamed of since you never know what could be swimming in our saltwater playground. Best thing to do as stated before is fish with friends and stay relatively close until your confidence begins to build. Get a long stringer if you can so if by chance the tax man visits, you have more space between his sharp teeth and you. Just keep on fishing and those worries will slowly drift away.

Some words to live by told to me by an old timer "If your worried about sharks while wade fishing, just make sure your a faster swimmer than at least one of your wading partners"

-Moondog
Moondog94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 04:45 PM   #45
gigem87
I will have my glory day in the hot sun!

gigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirategigem87 has been promoted to Pirate
My wade fishing fears, in order:

1. Stingrays
2. Vibrio
3. Sharks
4. Drowning (surf)

There is no life without risks though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
gigem87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 05:19 PM   #46
Salty Dog
Registered Users-pm+

Salty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to PirateSalty Dog has been promoted to Pirate
The only thing I worry about when I am wading is idiot boaters not paying attention to what they are doing.

I've waded my whole life. I guess for many years I didn't really even know there was any other option. It's just what we did. I have a great many stories of sharks and rays. I've had many fish stolen. I've tried numerous ways to keep them from getting stolen. I've stood chest deep in the bay and surf and gone nose to nose with sharks of all sizes trying to get my fish. I've won more than I've lost. I had a gator get ahold of my boot one time when I was in about the 7th or 8th grade. I was wearing a pair of the old black rubber boots, i don't even know why but I was. I waded out about knee deep and this little 5-6' rascal comes up to me. I kick him or kick at him. He tries to grab me but just gets the top of my boot. So we had a little tug of war and he finally let go. We parted ways and I went on and caught a couple of redfish. That was in St. Mary's Bayou in Matagorda. I have a few friends who have gotten stuck by a ray and I have stepped on them, kicked them and luckily never got stuck. I almost hopped out of the boat on about a 5' wide ray in the back of Green's bayou. Just as I went to hop out I saw it and it was huge. In about knee deep gin clear water. Had a gnarley looking stump tail and his body was probably 9-10" thick. I've seen 'em that big in the surf but never seen one that big in the bay. I've had friends who have gotten vibrio and other bacterial infections. And then there are snakes, I have had 'em drop out of trees into my boat. I once had a great big ol rattlesnake swim up and try to get in my boat. I decided to kill it so I whacked it with a paddle. It rolled over dead. I decided i wanted the rattle. I was probably 12 years old at the time. I was in my old 16' aluminum flatbottom boat. So I flip the dead snake up into the front of the boat with the paddle. Only it wasn't dead. When i figured that out he was coiled up in the bottom of the boat ready to strike. I beat some dents in that boat but I killed the snake and kept control of the boat.

I end up in the boat way more than I want to these days because so many folks who fish with me won't wade. I still get a little bit giddy when I get to spend a day wadefishing. I never even second guess getting in the water. It's just what I do. There really isn't anything to be scared of. You just need to stay calm and use good sense. Don't panic when a situation comes up. Just handle it.

After reading all of that if you don't want to wade that's OK. Fish however makes you happy.
Salty Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #47
Mr. Saltwater
Registered Users-pm+

Mr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to PirateMr. Saltwater has been promoted to Pirate
Back in my younger days when I felt invincible, the dangers of wading just added more thrill for me. Swimming surf rods out to cast them from the third bar on moonlight nights was just spooky enough to get the adrenaline going. Quit doing that when we saw the size of what was out there!! Seeing a 12 foot Tiger shark riding a clear green wave on the 3rd bar and 10/0 reels quickly stripped of line can be a sobering experience.
Never had a problem wading the bays day or night though. Spent countless days of my life in the water and bumped up hundreds of rays but never got stuck...but I always waded at a snails pace never lifting my feet.
Back in the early 80's, my friends and I built an elevated platform from a 4 x 12 pallet in a cove of West Galveston Bay. Kind of like a "pier to nowhere"...lol. I remember pulling a rubber raft full of ice chests and gear and spending 3 straight days and nights wading the bay with that platform as base camp...by myself because nobody else wanted to go.
Never had a problem with gators and encountered many of them hunting the Anahuac marsh. Most I saw were 8 ft. or less and I got used to being in the water with them. Didn't have much choice if I wanted to duck hunt there. There was one that scared the **** out of me though. I was hunting the Anahuac reservoir and shot a duck that went down close to a distant levee. Wading waist deep through thick hyacinths about where I thought it was when the 14 footer that the Warden warned me about came off the levee about 10 feet from me. Backed out and let him have that duck.
Always enjoyed being in the water, but knowing several people that caught Vibrio I stay out of it now unless I'm wearing waders.
If the risks of wading make your trip less enjoyable, then don't. Staying clean and dry can make for an enjoyable trip too.
Mr. Saltwater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #48
Flounder Face
southern paralichthys lethostigma

Flounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to PirateFlounder Face has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrem View Post
I have donated a half dozen stringers to the man in the grey suit. I have had them bump into me dozens of times. It will get your attn. But the fact is you are not on their menu. You aren't splashing around like something they would feed on. You are just another pier piling to them. They are around you. But you aren't in danger. Thousands of wade fisherman are in the water daily and you never hear of an incident. Now beach goers is a different story. They are splashing around like shark prey....

Now gators....dont wade in back lakes with gators. Period.

Wade with friends and see how comfy they are.

Or man there is no shame in it....i know a lot of people that generally stay in the boat.
This. Only wade with fatter and slower people than you....... and give them the short stringer. You should be ok then.
Flounder Face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #49
TranTheMan
Registered Users-pm+

TranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to PirateTranTheMan has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder Face View Post
This. Only wade with fatter and slower people than you....... and give them the short stringer. You should be ok then.
Maybe my wife has all these figured out.
TranTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2017, 09:08 PM   #50
BigJake
Registered Users-pm+

BigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief MateBigJake has been promoted to the rank of Chief Mate
Not much of a wader anymore. Used to all the time and it's a great way to fish. Had a few encounters with bull sharks to the point where I rigged my stringer into a dough net zip tied to a 5 gallon bucket with holes drilled into. Honestly though, I started to actually worry more when the flesh-eating bacteria started to come about, and yes you could just put on breathable waders. Anyways, all that said, is that your boat in your avatar? If so, get you a trolling motor, and just fish with that. No waders, no stringers, no lure boxes getting soaked...
BigJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message