Black powder distance - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise  |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > Hunting and Shooting Forums > Hunting Board

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 07:07 AM   #11
peckerwood
Registered Users-pm+

peckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Piratepeckerwood has been promoted to Pirate
I've shot a bunch of game with my T/C Renegade over the last 35 years,and have never lost a critter.The limits I put on myself,most won't except.I have never shot at an animule over 50 yards,but practiced at 100yds. I have an in-line,but I have no desire shooting it. I shoot a .54 with 110gr. Pyrodex and 425 Maxi-hunter bullet with 209 Mag-spark primer.
peckerwood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 07:41 AM   #12
cva34
Registered Users-pm+

cva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbagman View Post
It depends...

Hawken rifle type muzzle loader with a slow twist rate for round ball I would limit myself to 75-100 yards.

Modern inline muzzle loader with a faster twist rate for larger conicals or saboted bullets you push to 150 yards.

The newest muzzle loaders with the 209 primed systems and 150gr.+ powder charges will get you to 200 yards.

Remington's new rifle will handle 200gr. of pellet propellent and uses a proprietary ignition system and they claim 2400fps velocity with their proprietary saboted bullet will get you to 300 yards.

Great answer !!!
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
EJ@TSFMag
Registered Users-pm+

EJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to PirateEJ@TSFMag has been promoted to Pirate
Have been a very dedicated muzzleloader hunter since middle-70s and taken more deer-size game than I can recall. Competed all across the country in muzzleloading rifle matches up to national championship level. All my shooting and hunting has been with patched round ball and black powder, percussion and flintlock, .40 caliber to .62 caliber.

Patched round ball places very significant limitations on distance that deer-size game can be ethically and reliably taken for two reasons: round ball runs out of energy very quickly and is highly susceptible to wind drift.

I have witnessed drift up to 12 MOA at 100 yards in stiff crosswind with .58 caliber bench rifle that weighs 50 pounds (to tame recoil) and burns 250 grains FFG. This was during a test session with a scope mounted on the gun to preclude aiming error. It would likely be even greater with a smaller diameter ball and lighter powder charge. I mention this only to emphasize that in hunting conditions it is necessary to carefully gauge wind and keep shots closer in order to make clean kills. Lots of range time and practice recommended before hunting with a primitive arm.

I have no doubt erred on the conservative side much more than the opposite, limiting my shots to 100 yards maximum on deer, usually less than 75. The greatest distance I ever achieved a clean kill was on a mule deer at a measured 115. Had I known it was that far I would have attempted to stalk closer. In all my years of hunting with muzzleloaders I have lost only a few wounded deer and distance was not the problem. I blame low light aiming error with primitive sights and learned from my mistakes.

I would recommend heart-lung shot placement over any other, typically at 75 yards or less the .50 to .54 caliber round ball punches completely through leaving a good blood trail and a dead animal less than 50 yards away.

I offer no shooting or ballistics advice on sabot loads, slug ammo, Pyrodex or inline-style rifles as I have never ventured into those realms

Last edited by EJ@TSFMag; 01-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.
EJ@TSFMag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2017, 09:14 PM   #14
sparrish8
Registered Users-pm+

sparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Pirate
Remington ultimate is the way to go do some research like I said on another post I can shoot well within kill range on an elk comfortably at 400 yds and my buddy shot an elk this year at 652yds and killed it.
sparrish8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #15
cva34
Registered Users-pm+

cva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Piratecva34 has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrish8 View Post
Remington ultimate is the way to go do some research like I said on another post I can shoot well within kill range on an elk comfortably at 400 yds and my buddy shot an elk this year at 652yds and killed it.
The Remingtons and Savage are in a diff League....and so are you and your buddy ...MOST people can only make shots like that in there Dreams with a 300 Mag much less a Muzzleloader..
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2017, 07:50 PM   #16
sparrish8
Registered Users-pm+

sparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Piratesparrish8 has been promoted to Pirate
ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by cva34 View Post
The Remingtons and Savage are in a diff League....and so are you and your buddy ...MOST people can only make shots like that in there Dreams with a 300 Mag much less a Muzzleloader..
It really just takes practice, 2- 3 hour shooting sessions, get it zeroed real good at 200yds, then we go to a 300 yd + range shoot at 300yds until you get a consistent group then move to 400 yds, you'll need a good scope probably 4x16x50 or better with turrets and record all your data
sparrish8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2017, 04:52 AM   #17
2Ws
Registered Users-pm+

2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate2Ws has been promoted to Pirate
And a lot of cleaning patches.
2Ws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message