2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

boat ramp oops

17K views 58 replies 46 participants last post by  Bull Fish 
#1 ·
this is all over Facebook, so I hope there isn't a problem posting it and I haven't seen it yet.
the 4th of July boat ramp antics have started already.
from Clark's in POC today.

See less See more
#7 ·
That sux.....

I know it can happen, as there are too often pictures posted here. I hope it never happens to me. I often ask, how does that happen? I always try to be very aware, put my truck in park, and set the emergency brake, pull out in low gear, not just drive. Is this due to having a stick and not being able to control it?

#36 ·
That sux.....

I know it can happen, as there are too often pictures posted here. I hope it never happens to me. I often ask, how does that happen? I always try to be very aware, put my truck in park, and set the emergency brake, pull out in low gear, not just drive. Is this due to having a stick and not being able to control it?
Not sure about the poc ramp, but generally in Port A, it happens on really low tide. Time that with a ship passing and sucking out the water and you have an extremely slick ramp. Emergency brake doesn't matter, the tires usually aren't turning, they're just sliding. If you get lucky, your tires will catch before you're that deep, otherwise is just slides down and in.

Cody C

#17 ·
I definitely wasn't trying to be nasty with OP, because it almost happened to me.
17-18 years ago, before I got my own boat, right after Charlie's Bait Camp first opened. By myself, middle of week, very early, nobody at ramp.
I had a Toyota 4x4 4cyl 5 speed pickup with 33" tires and was borrowing a friends Haynie Seadrifter that was on a poorly maintained trailer (very hard to get off trailer).
Backed it down, killed truck engine, set parking brake and started rocking boat to get it off trailer.
Truck was in reverse not 1st, parking brake slipped, truck rolled back and pretty much push started it self for a few seconds and came on back before it died again.
Water was in bed, I dumped the boat and pulled truck out.
Saved the truck, but had to swim for boat.
DOH!
I was so glad there was nobody to see it.

#15 · (Edited)
How could that happen at high tide, with the truck above the ramp apron, and jack-knifed that bad? Anyway Henry Clark built that ramp, when they were getting ready to open the restaurant in 1994. I was sitting there (plenty of time on your hands, when you live in POC) when he graded it, and he had me try to pull my 21 Mako out with the trailer. Too steep, my truck tires spun, so he graded it a little flatter. But it's still got a funny bend in it. And at low tide, much worse. I hope he's repaired the docks, the last few years the planks were looking pretty bad. In the picture, what's that contraption with a green marker on top?

#22 ·
Every week end, two old boat camp operators used to park at the
Galveston Yacht basin ramp just to enjoy the ramp antics.

If you have been in this "game" long enough, you have seen at least one
vehicle launch. Just another oh noooo.

Knew one guy who launched for first time boat show boat run with an io.
Took two pick up trucks to remove the lower unit stuck on a low tide
concrete ramp! Gee that boat was heavy..........

Steep ramp at A&M Pelican Island. That sucker goes straight down and
is scary as heck. Anyone used that one?

#29 ·
Weird things happen fast. I feel for the guy, that sux for sure. I watched a brand new truck being pulled out of lake conroe one night. All you could see of the truck before pulled out was about 3" of the antenna. The guy that owned the truck came screaming up to us in his boat as we were about leave another ramp, telling us to call an ambulance and a wrecker to the caney creek public ramp. We did and waited on FM1097 to direct the crews. We got there and there was a crying young 15 year old or so sitting on the curb. He apparently didn't put it park when he got it backed down to load the boat and just got out. The truck backed over him and knocked him over (door hit him) while his neighbor who took the boy fishing watched the whole thing. I am sure the episode I described should have never happened, but things do happen fast!!!

#33 ·
He who laughs at this is in danger of offending the boat ramp gods . They can humble anyone at anytime. Just Wednesday at the Fishing Center I ended up with the bow pointed out and the motor towards the ramp in a quartering wind and a cross current. It was humiliating -glad it wasn't on Saturday or the vid would be on 2 Cool.

#34 ·
One holiday we are leaving a packed fishing center in POC (i'm driving), load the 24 ft deep v boat up, hit a pothole under water with the trailer tires on the passenger side, pull boat outta water and up ramp and something feels strange as I look in my sideviews , wheel popped right off and rolled back down the ramp and into the water....I think we got a couple laughs by a few pieces of jerky that were drying out on those benches.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.