2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Keeping fried foods hot and crispy

23K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  albert white 
#1 ·
How do you folks keep your fried foods warm after cooking. I know the best way would be with a wire cooling rack over a sheet pan, with a radiant heat lamp setup, but I'm talking about at home. I have tried to put fish, potatoes, etc. in the oven on the "keep warm" setting in paper towel lined foil pans, but the it gets mushy. Brown paper grocery sacks work for a few minutes, but after a while, the results are the same. I know not to cover it up or the steam cannot get out and this causes the soggy result.

Can ya hook a brutha up?

#5 ·
Leemo said:
Me-Know-Understand, the oil keeps the fish crisp?, explain please sir. thanks!
The oil will stay hot in the oven on the foil and not soak into it like a sponge (paper towels)... it will also be able to run away from the fillets. Using paper towels on fried stuff is no bueno unless you just do it for a second to remove excess grease/oil and remove it. Paper towels act like a sponge so your fillets are sitting on top of a big wet oil bath.

The best is the wire rack but I don't always have that handy and I get chewed out after using it for fish because according to the warden, that is for cookies only :eek:h:

#8 ·
SpeckledTrout said:
If paper towels absorb oil that leaks from the fillets, what's to stop the oil from leaking outta the fillets and onto the foil or parchment paper. Wouldn't the results be the same, then? Inquiring minds want to know.
Take a piece of foil and pour some water on it and then do the same with a paper towel. It will run off of the foil. Most fried foods aren't perfectly flat anyway. Paper towels will cradle the food in the oil they absorbed and the same food will only touch the foil in a few areas. I used to use paper grocery bags or paper towels all the time but since I switched to foil and the oven warmer, no more soggy fillets.

#11 ·
I do the same but place paper towels underneath the cooking rack (not touching the fish or fries). Turn the oven on to 200 and sever asap. Other reasons people have soggy fish is that they do not wait for the grease to return to the right temp before dropping in next batch.

#16 ·
Alright, I tried the foil idea on some oysters I fried, yesterday. These oysters were nice and crispy before I place them in the oven (200 degrees) with the door open. I did this immediately after draining all the excess oil from them.

The foil looked wet and had little droplets on it when I pulled the oysters out and they were starting to get soggy. What went wrong here?

#18 ·
One little trick...

That I learned on this board....for potatos only...microwave a potato until it is about 3/4 done, and then cut into 8 wedges....then fry. I had the same issue as you with soggy french fries and tried this and seems to work pretty well....more like home fries than french fries, but keep crisp for a pretty good while..even when placed in oven to keep warm.

Later
R3F

#19 ·
Simple remedy. I cant believe you guys didnt think of this. It is sooooo simple.

Grilled seafood! Guess what, no soggy worries there :)

I have tried all sorts of methods and the only one that actually worked for me was placing the seafood on a wire rack. I also use peanut oil, It lasts longer and wont burn. As was noted earlier, Make sure your oil is good and hot before placing the seafood in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.