2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Advice on spincasters

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  That Robbie Guy 
#1 ·
My 13 yr old son is finally ready for a decent spin caster, what are some good choices in the 100-125 dollar range? I never look at them, been throwing baitcasters since I was his age.

#4 ·
Try the Lews Mach 1 spinning reel. The reel is only $59.99 and will stand up to the saltwater. You could go ahead and get the matching Mach 1 rod to go with it for $100 for the combo. That is a great combo that won't break the bank. Or just check out the Lews website. They have several spinning reels in the price range you are looking for. www.captmatulafishing.com

Attachments

#8 · (Edited)
Cabela's has them on sale now for 50 bucks.
I haven't used the XT but have used The President, the regular one, in Saltwater and they hold up well.
I may have to order a couple of XTs.
Nothing last forever in the salt , at least not of the under 75 dollar reels that I use.
I would like to try the Lew's sometime. I may have to get one of those too.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/fish...ueger-summit-carbon-spinning-reel/2429195.uts

#15 ·
If you can fit a Stradic in the budget it will be a great reel for years, otherwise I would step down to the Pflueger previously mentioned. I haven't had much luck with the cheaper Shimanos but I have bought those Pflueger combos for guest set ups and they are very durable.

#17 ·
I've got a couple and they have been good reels for the money. I don't heavily abuse my stuff, but every now and then I forget to wash them off after use. One is probably 3 years old and could use some new bearings but still works great, the other is only about a year old and has no issues. I think you will enjoy them, I prefer the smaller 2500-3000 series reels, makes for a lighter setup that will still catch everything is ask them too.

#19 ·
The guy who repairs reels at Cut Rate Tackle in Houston says never put water on your reels, instead clean them with Windex after a trip. He's seen water get into too many reels.

I had a couple of guides on my boat last week, they buy new $30 or $40 dollar spin reels like the Pflueger and use them until they get a little rough, then toss them and buy new ones. They're really smooth for a while. I have a couple that are several years old and they've caught a lot of trout. They said if water gets in them, and you take 'em apart and add grease, they quit working after a week.

#21 ·
Eh, i'm definitely not going to try and fix something that isn't broken.

The guy who repairs reels at Cut Rate Tackle in Houston says never put water on your reels, instead clean them with Windex after a trip. He's seen water get into too many reels.

I had a couple of guides on my boat last week, they buy new $30 or $40 dollar spin reels like the Pflueger and use them until they get a little rough, then toss them and buy new ones. They're really smooth for a while. I have a couple that are several years old and they've caught a lot of trout. They said if water gets in them, and you take 'em apart and add grease, they quit working after a week.
I treat my $60 President, just like I do my $200 Chronarch.
I never submerge them in water, just constant spray and steam, I guess.
Then air dry, wipe down, apply Abu Garcia Reel Oil and wipe down again.

#20 ·
I was looking for something for a bit less money and tried the Okuma at Academy. That was about 7+ years ago and now I have 3 of them. I clean them regularly and they are still really smooth. Others are also good but didn't see anyone mention the Okuma so I thought I would throw it into the mix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.