2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Reef Fishing Basics

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Big Willy 
#1 ·
I am having trouble with some of the basics behind fishing the deeper reefs in the bays. Grew up fishing freshwater so I do OK with the shoreline stuff but, out in the middle of the bay I feel lost.
I will set up a scenario because it should apply to most reefs.
1: Lap reef in Copano bay runs north to south. We typically have a SE wind. So when you approach the reef(feel free to input the direction you would approach) would you want to anchor on the east side to work the side of the reef where the wind is blowing against? Or anchor over the reef and fish the side West that is somewhat protected? Or is the goal to actually fish on top of the reef itself. Also if I want to wade is it best to stand on the reef and fish the sides or in the mud....? I usually fish with a bait caster so the casting in to the wind is a concern.

#2 ·
When I approach a mid bay reef to fish, i will anchor off where I can fish the edge of the reef first, usually the upwind side, then I will reposition and work the downwind edge, and then the top. 2 reasons I feel you don't want to anchor on top of a reef, #1 it spooks the fish when you drop anchor right on top of them, #2 good luck getting a anchor to hold on a oyster reef, at least mine won't. The main reason though is fish the edges first then move to the top. Just my $.02 worth

#3 ·
No need to cast into the wind.. Pull up and make a drift with the wind into the reef (outside edge). While drifting look for bait activity and try to find out if the fish are shallow up tight to the reef or out deeper. That will help you decide if you should wade or just make drifts. If you do wade anchor a lil ways off the reef and to where when you get out of the boat and fish the wind is at your back. This is pretty much how i go about it and it always pays off for me.

#4 ·
In addition to wind, I fish the reef dependent upon...

tidal movement and where the dropoffs are. If an East and West type reef (just as an example) with an incoming tide, I fish the North dropoff, anchored off the reef fishing back to the reef and dragging back toward dropoff, trout like to sit at the edge and wait for bait to be swept across and off the reef. When tide turns around, I move to the opposite side and set up off the dropoff and cast back toward the reef. Fish tend to feed into the current and so if your bait is moving with the current it looks like a natural movement. If moving against the current, unnatural movement and might be ignored. Just my opinion, and we all have our own, but try different things and if it works for you, go for it!

#5 ·
I like tide side, then wind side if the reef is oriented that way. Start by drifting and then anchor off the reef opposite side you want to fish and then wade off the reef on the side you want to fish. My $.02 worth a little less than that though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.