2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Haynie 21 cat vs 23 Shoalwater Cat

20K views 45 replies 21 participants last post by  out_fishin69 
#1 ·
I have narrowed my search down between a 2010 Haynie cat. Loaded boat mercury 200 optimax (43) hrs. And an equally equipped 2009 Shoalwater with 250 E tec. 75 Hrs. Both are priced nearly the same. Any help with decision would be appreciated.

Thanks

#3 ·
Shoalwater 23 cat will give you a better ride across the bays, offer you 2ft more room and get just as shallow as the 21 Haynie Cat. I own a Shoalwater 23 and love this boat, although I do prefer the Haynies fit and finish especially with the console. If it comes down to the motors I'd go with the motor with the longest warranty!

#9 ·
No not yet. The haynie is getting custom boat work done and the shoalwater I won't. See untill next week. The haynie has a Lowrance HDS 7, platnum chart. Live well with oxegen powerpole 8' with remotes. 2 yeti coolers. Mclain trailer. Custom leaning post K top.

Shoalwater has 2 ice chest. Powerpole. 2 baitwells. Coastline trailer. Garmin 5" graph. Racing seats.

I am definitely confused. Large purchase. The haynie is closer to being new but I like the shoalwater as well. Also the haynie is 1800 cheaper

#10 ·
No not yet. The haynie is getting custom boat work done and the shoalwater I won't. See untill next week. The haynie has a Lowrance HDS 7, platnum chart. Live well with oxegen powerpole 8' with remotes. 2 yeti coolers. Mclain trailer. Custom leaning post K top.

Shoalwater has 2 ice chest. Powerpole. 2 baitwells. Coastline trailer. Garmin 5" graph. Racing seats.

I am definitely confused. Large purchase. The haynie is closer to being new but I like the shoalwater as well. Also the haynie is 1800 cheaper
where do you fish? That's always an important question concerning types of boats.
I've been on both of these boats several times each, to me the 21 haynie is the same as a 19 shoalwater cat... nothing close to the 23 shoal cat.. the 23 is a much bigger boat than the 21 haynie... You need to ride on both first, and get what fits your wants and needs from the boat.

#12 ·
In my opinion, it depends if you fish out of the boat or wade. 23' Shoal is much bigger and gives more room to get away from flying hooks. On the other hand, I like the black motor better than the white one.

I just ordered a new Haynie 21 Cat myself because I could not find a used one. That ought to tell you something, people are keeping their Haynies. Sounds like you have a tough decision.

#13 ·
I fish alot in POC and in Aransas pass, I usually have 2-3 buddys along with me. I sold my boat because I really liked the looks of the shoalwater 23 cat. I am not crazy about the white motor either but boat is sweet. They hanie is more or less a brand new boat.

#18 ·
cats

I have a Haynie 21, PLENTY OF ROOM. Looked at both for a long time and in fact had a Shoalcat specked out and ready to go. The difference was the fit and finish. Chris offered custom design services and Great after the sale support. Very rare to see these up for sale. This boat rides like a big-un in rough water and very dry. I've fished every body of water from Bolivar to Port Isabel in mine without issue. Oh yeah you get a free Kidney transplant with every Illusion purchased. LOL.

Attachments

#19 ·
illusion comes with kidney transplant and haynie 21 comes with seagrass transplant after it uproots during hole shot from squattin so low... LOL

Just playin around i dont want this to turn into another pissin match

I have a Haynie 21, PLENTY OF ROOM. Looked at both for a long time and in fact had a Shoalcat specked out and ready to go. The difference was the fit and finish. Chris offered custom design services and Great after the sale support. Very rare to see these up for sale. This boat rides like a big-un in rough water and very dry. I've fished every body of water from Bolivar to Port Isabel in mine without issue. Oh yeah you get a free Kidney transplant with every Illusion purchased. LOL.

#26 ·
You may need a kidney transplant with an illusion and a RFL especially, but you come play follow the leader with me in your Haynie, and you will wish you didnt. just sayin' :)
I'll follow you in my Shallow Sport :biggrin:

But i was thinking the same thing,why not a Tran or Majek? imho i don't the Haynie or Shoalwater quality is there ...especially in the Shoalwater imo.

#24 ·
Majek nice boat. They all are. I appreciate all the comments. I know the haynie like it is built better ie.. Compartment lids and hardware.. Also the prop shaft issue on the E-tec 250 scare me and its allready been replaced once..
Like I initially said, I'd rather have the black motor (or better yet a Yammie SHO)... Not to be redundant, but a great Shoalwater ain't all that great when the propulsion system is kaput...

My recommendation, keep on looking until you find the combo you want since it seems you'd really rather have the Shoalwater.

#27 ·
reason

The reason not the others is Because. I have not found any low hour used. Equipped and set up the way I would set up if I bought new. These 2 are what I found. Also I kind of know guy with haynie through a close friend. I am leaning towards Haynie and will probably buy boat this week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.