2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Kayak

5K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  IvanSanchez 
#1 ·
Hey everyone I am new to this forum and new to the fishing world and have been enjoying every minute of it. I'm currently wanting to get a fishing kayak and was hoping I could get any kind of recommendations as to which I should get. Something entry level I suppose. I don't have am arm and a leg to spend on a higher end kayak at the moment. I greatly appreciate in advance.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using Tapatalk

#11 ·
I have a 10, and I've got to agree with these guys. It is work to paddle around. It's great in the surf, and I have a few spots that are not a far paddle, but if you are looking to cover any distance go longer. I do like the stability of my kayak though. I can stand in it and see all around me. It just depends on how you plan to fish and where you are going. Goodluck and tight lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#12 ·
I have a 14' Tarpon Wilderness Systems kayak with a detachable stabilizer. The stabilizer is worth every penny. I sit on the side of my yak to fish. It's super fast and with the stabilizer, more stable than any other kayak that doesn't have one. It's basically impossible to flip it with the stabilizer.

#13 ·
Ocean Kayak, Spec or Scrambler... These kayaks won't break the bank. They're 11'6", not to short and not super long. Easy to load in and out of the bed of the truck (6' bed) without needing a rack or trailer, unlike long kayaks. I've used mine in the surf and the flats fishing and they are my go to means for duck hunting. These kayaks aren't very fancy but they work for me.

#18 ·
Ocean Kayak Brand and either the Speck or Scrambler XT model. I found the Speck on sale at Academy for $300. I purchased the Scrambler on CL for $400 with seat, paddles, anchor, whistle, dry storage box, and tie down strap. There's good deals out there just got to look for them.

Before I purchased mine. I fished out of a friends 13' Prowler a few times but those are quite a bit more expensive.

#19 ·
Ocean Kayak Brand and either the Speck or Scrambler XT model. I found the Speck on sale at Academy for $300. I purchased the Scrambler on CL for $400 with seat, paddles, anchor, whistle, dry storage box, and tie down strap. There's good deals out there just got to look for them.

Before I purchased mine. I fished out of a friends 13' Prowler a few times but those are quite a bit more expensive.
greatly appreciate the info. I think I will wait for the demo next month!

#20 ·
I did alot of research and followed the recommendations for these and bought one of each.
Perception Pescador 12 - comfortable seat with great back support.
Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 - Lightweight and very stable.
Both entry level in your price range. Try to find used if possible but not a terrible price new on these.
I like both and would recommend.
Ocean Kayak website offers a lot of information for beginners.

#22 ·
Pelicans suck. Look at the perceptain 12 at Academt 550 and on sale for 450 some time.

It is the Orig tarpon 120 or 12 ft good all around kayak.

go to TKF and see the article I did 10 years ago on hw to pick the right kayak.
All depends on you and what you want to do with a kayak.

12 is a min length but do not get the 800$ at academy. Costs more and sits up too high above the water and will be a problem in high winds.

I own 4 and use the 12 footer most of the time for long trips i use my 160 tarpon for long trips.

#23 ·
Pelicans suck. Look at the perceptain 12 at Academt 550 and on sale for 450 some time.

It is the Orig tarpon 120 or 12 ft good all around kayak.

go to TKF and see the article I did 10 years ago on hw to pick the right kayak.
All depends on you and what you want to do with a kayak.

12 is a min length but do not get the 800$ at academy. Costs more and sits up too high above the water and will be a problem in high winds.

I own 4 and use the 12 footer most of the time for long trips i use my 160 tarpon for long trips.
Thanks! I will look for the article!

#24 ·
in the $500 dollar range I would try to find some used Wilderness Systems (Tarpon or Ride). The tarpon 12 foot and 14 foot are very popular as is the Ride 135. I currently have a ride 135 and 3 tarpons, but the ride is my personal favorite, very stable and relatively fast. A rule of thumb is 12-14 foot is perfect for bayfishing, anything shorter or longer might make your fishing day not as enjoyable. As many other have said look on craigslist and the classifieds here on 2cool.

Just my 2 cents,

-Moondog

#25 ·
in the $500 dollar range I would try to find some used Wilderness Systems (Tarpon or Ride). The tarpon 12 foot and 14 foot are very popular as is the Ride 135. I currently have a ride 135 and 3 tarpons, but the ride is my personal favorite, very stable and relatively fast. A rule of thumb is 12-14 foot is perfect for bayfishing, anything shorter or longer might make your fishing day not as enjoyable. As many other have said look on craigslist and the classifieds here on 2cool.

Just my 2 cents,

-Moondog
Thank you!

#26 ·
Have a 10' Pelican I got at Academy on sale several years ago. I got it mainly for Luce Bayou where I wouldn't be fighting choppy water or much wind. I added a depth finder and it's done a good job for me. Have taken it along the north shore of Trinity Bay to the spillway. I'm a little old and a few miles against the wind was a little hard for this senior citizen. If I was younger and was able to fish more, I'd spend a little more money and get one a little longer but this little 10 footer works ok for what I can do.

#27 ·
You should define what you'll do with this kayak (lots of paddling to get to spot, in the marsh, open water, etc) that will point you to certain brands over others. I would highly recommend you paddle the boats you are interested in before you buy, lots of models are available for rent and that is a good way to try before you buy. And there are lots of used boats available on Texas Kayak Fisherman and other sites. I would also think ahead about how you will transport it (car top, back of a truck, etc) as this will make a difference in the length and weight of the boat you want to go with as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.