Drift socks for 18' Shallow Sport - Page 2 - 2CoolFishing
Home  |  Contact Us  |  Advertise   |   Follow:

Go Back   2CoolFishing > General Interest Forums > Boating Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #11
D HOGG
Registered Users-pm+

D HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to PirateD HOGG has been promoted to Pirate
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULF COAST FISHERMAN View Post
I would like to use 2 drift socks for my Shallow Sport 18 Sport. I am thinking 30". Does anyone use 2 drift socks on a similar size boat and what size do you use? Thanks!

I had the same boat and I used 2 - 48" drift socks as well as using the trolling motor at times just like sgrem described. A 48" drift sock can get pretty pricey when buying one pre rigged let alone two. I pieced mine together and came out way ahead on price. Of course the socks are your big money item and the rest is really cheap. 50' of a good nylon dock line is next to nothing as well as your floats and swivels. Regardless whether you buy one fully assembled or you put it together, do your self a huge favor and get the socks that have a dump strap !!

Also you will find that there are some cheap socks out there, but I will tell you from experience, they will not hold up !! Do a few drifts across some reefs and you'll see why. Hell even the expensive ones are going to eventually get torn and cut from drifting reefs, but the material is good enough you can get them sown back up.

Good luck,
D.
D HOGG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
GULF COAST FISHERMAN
Registered Users-pm+

GULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Quote:
Originally Posted by D HOGG View Post
I had the same boat and I used 2 - 48" drift socks as well as using the trolling motor at times just like sgrem described. A 48" drift sock can get pretty pricey when buying one pre rigged let alone two. I pieced mine together and came out way ahead on price. Of course the socks are your big money item and the rest is really cheap. 50' of a good nylon dock line is next to nothing as well as your floats and swivels. Regardless whether you buy one fully assembled or you put it together, do your self a huge favor and get the socks that have a dump strap !!

Also you will find that there are some cheap socks out there, but I will tell you from experience, they will not hold up !! Do a few drifts across some reefs and you'll see why. Hell even the expensive ones are going to eventually get torn and cut from drifting reefs, but the material is good enough you can get them sown back up.

Good luck,
D.
Thank you D HOGG
GULF COAST FISHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
GULF COAST FISHERMAN
Registered Users-pm+

GULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of PrivateerGULF COAST FISHERMAN has been promoted to the rank of Privateer
Does anyone use the Bass Pro Shop drift socks?
GULF COAST FISHERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #14
JimD
JimD

JimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to PirateJimD has been promoted to Pirate
I have two 30" socks for the Baby Cat and went out and got a 36" because one day the 2-30" socks would not hold in West bay on a ripping day. Bigger is better.
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
gman1772
All men die, not all men really live.

gman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirategman1772 has been promoted to Pirate
I settled on a 36" (bow) and a 48" (stern) for my 21' Shallow Sport Bahia. I ran twin 48" for while The boat would try to do a slow corkscrew with the motor up with twin 48"'s. If it's blowing so bad that I need bigger bags to slow down I go wade a shoreline. Shallow Sports don't fare well with drift fishing Especially the Sport hull design. The boats have an exceptionally shallow draft. Great for running skinny. Bad for resisting wind push.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gman1772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message