2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Rocksprings Water Usage

4K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Reel Cajun 
#1 ·
Since November of last year we have had 10.54" of rain in Rocksprings, but even with it being that wet, I have gone through 1200 gallons of water since January.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
I have 3 troughs on my place. I don't have any pictures on my phone due to it breaking. 6 sheets of 12ft tin on 2x4 frame attatched to 4x4 legs. Tin drains into a gutter system on the front of the frame that drains into the tote. The tote is under the roof.Has a few degree incline on the back end to drain faster.
I have the frame wired to the tote and concrete on the legs.
You can add more tin to catch more water of course.

#9 ·
Tin Roof

Sea is right, use tin. I tried the green plastic roofing sheets because they looked good and had no sharp edges. A good hailstorm with reportedly golf ball size hail several years ago completely shattered it. I went back with tin and it's still catching water.
Toting and pumping totes gets old real fast!

#19 ·
Edwards Co is a tough area w/a steep learning curve...
especially for SEtX newcomers...
you can haul a tanker truck of water, there, every week, and watch it disappear...
that's why it's mostly scrub cedar and exposed white rocks...it's pretty much the far NE area of the Coahuila Desert...
w/o a well,(and many $K), it's a dry, tough place...
not unusual for not a drop between May and Sept...
w/triple digit temps...

#20 ·
My place is in Val Verde cnty in West TX. Water off the trailer roof and porch roof flows into a 1,000 gal tank. I also catch water off a 20 X 25 ft car/boat port which flows into a 600 gal tank. I have 3/4" black plastic pipe running to 2 troughs in the pasture each fed by a 275 gal tote. I hook up a 110V pump and sit on the porch and drink beer while filling my troughs. My catch tanks are almost always full. I lose way more to overflow than what I use. I love this country!

Attachments

#22 ·
Water Guzzler

Google water guzzler, all kinds of ideas. I run 3/4" hdpe to a black water bowl from Tractor Supply and use the black float they sell. It lets the hose connect straight and the metal floats connect into top which can create a kink in the hose, (have learned this the hard way). Nothing like showing up and tote is full of water, but none in trough due to kinked hose. There is a formula you can look up, I think a 6x8 roof with 1" of rain gives you about 30 gallons of water. The next ones I build are going to have a larger roof so I can catch more when it does rain.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.