2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

hay rack for alfalfa

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Overboard 
#1 ·
Thinking of building 2 old style hay rack for feeding bales alfalfa for axes
Any suggestions or thoughts from the green screen?
Thought of putting 1/2 plastic barrel under them, up rights on 4'' centers so they don't pull it all out. They will be in pen 40 x 40 or bigger with auto feeder to keep cows out.

#2 ·
Cut the bottom and top out of a 55 gal drum. Weld a X across the bottom from rebar. Mount barrel on a 2 inch pipe up in the air. Just the right size for a bale of hay. Put a lid on it and go about your business. Put it at the height that they can reach the bottom and they (deer) will pull it out between the X rebar. Seen many of them.

#3 ·
Leave the bottom on a barrel, weld 3 legs on the 'open end' and stand it up. Take 2 pieces of swing set chain and cross them in an X.
Use wing nuts on one side of each chain. Chains should sag about4-6" below the bottom of the barrel.

Then undo one side of each, push a bale up in the barrel with wire on. Replace the chains, cut the wire and pull it out.
I've seen guys leave the wire on the bales once the deer are use to eating it. I think you should at least cut the wire even if you don't pull it out.

#7 ·
sounds like you want a one-month hay-rick....
it wont work....
winter '78 my Dad and I threw fresh sudan hay to our cows daily acct of wet weather....
we threw it up into the brush to keep it off mud...
next year it was dusty dry and we fed the roads leading to the water troughs...
SO....
conditions change, and fast....
dry today... wet and molding for the next week....
answer is daily adjustments....
that's what we do...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.